Introducing . . . .Genghis Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiluscomb

5 Year Member
Hey all! My name is Holly and I live in New England at the moment (I know not exactly super for my tort buddy but will be fixing that soon!). I have owned a cherry head redfooted tortoise for about a week now, but I've been researching (both on and off this forum) for a little over a year before purchasing. Khan is much, much younger than he should ever have been shipped and he came into the local petstore still with the incision from the yolk sack. As it is illegal to sell this young, the petstore contacted my boyfriend (who happens to be a herpetologist) asking him to take the little one in to avoid problems with the authorities. I know this is a really tough situation that never should have happened but it is not the stores fault but the distributors as they were ordered for 4 inches but were mispackaged. My point to telling this story is that I am having a very hard time finding info for caring for a tort this young, it's a learning process but I couldn't let them send him back half way across the country further stressing the poor thing out. Any sites or info y'all could help with so I can care for him the way he deserves would be great! Right now he's in an aquarium (again not what I would prefer, but for the space and his tiny-ness it's the best option for keeping humidity high and a close eye on him). I haven't had any troubles with him feeding or drinking he's been really great I just want to be positive I have all the info I can on caring for him.

Pic attached is him getting some sun as the weather is in the mid 80's this week. He's not that pink the lighting was a bit strange!

Attachments

• Khan in the sun.jpg
    Khan in the sun.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 65

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Looks like he is eating, so I am thinking his age will not be a factor. How do you currently have his enclosure set up?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D. You will find all the info you need right here on this forum. Be careful of other info out there a lot of it is wrong. I don't know about your species, but others will be on soon to help. Also, if you could give the answers to Jacqui's post, it will help for others to give you advice. Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Holly:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

There is a nation-wide 4" rule, restricting businesses from selling turtles/tortoises smaller than 4" from front to back in a straight line. Its quite ok for the hobby breeder, or private parties to sell babies. And it happens all the time. You just have to be particularly attentive to the baby's needs and make sure he is getting everything he needs at his young age.

hiluscomb

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi! *waves* Looks like he is eating, so I am thinking his age will not be a factor. How do you currently have his enclosure set up?

He has a cork bark hide on the 'hot side' of his enclosure as well as on the 'cool side' with a water dish in the middle and cyprus mulch substrate. I tried paper towels but the store I got him from had him on cyprus and he seemed to be uncomfortable with the switch plus i had some troubles keeping humidity up. His temps are usually fine, but his humidity is anywhere from 60% to 80% even with me spraying constantly and with a wet paper towel on the screen of the enclosure. I'm using a UVB light and a black heat light for heating. He seems super active so I'm not too worried other than the humdity!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know what my personal opinion is, too many folks are these days thinking they have to be hyper worried about humidity levels. I think they are kinda foolish myself. Yes humidity plays a role, but humidity does not have to be kept swamp high all the time for your hatchling to grow up just fine. You are spraying him a couple of times a day, have cypress mulch which will hold some humidity as well, you should be fine. If you really want to, make a humid hide. Just don't be driving yourself so crazy with worry on the humidity. Enjoy your redfoot.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Hi :) He's a cutie. I live in New Hampshire and yes its not ideal but with a little work I think a good indoor enclosure works and then outside in the summer when it's warm and humid.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and wheeeew glad you cleared up about the weird pink color going on in your pic...that would of freaked me out...lol

Your baby is beautiful and from what it sounds like you are doing aok...also don't forget soakings :p

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
He is a Beauty!
Hatchlings need a little extra care and attention. Our care sheets found in the Redfoot section are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.