Introduce my new hermanni tortoise and some questions about it

toro

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia/ Jakarta
Hello, I have new tortoise, a 2 months old baby hermanni tortoise. it's name is toro. I don't know the gender because the seller said it's hard to differentiate it while they are still baby. I have some questions about Toro, maybe someone can help :
1. First time keep Toro for 2 weeks it looks fine, Toro can see the food, eat the food. But then after 3 weeks, I notice Toro can't see the food. Toro can go to where the food are, but it tries to eat the air, the head always reach up side, but the food is under it's leg, but toro still can eat after many tries like moving his head to another directions. I think, maybe toro knows the food by the smell not the eyes ? or maybe hatchling tortoise eyes not that good like dogs and cats? or this is normal for hatchling tortoise ?
2. I check on the internet for healthy eyes of tortoise. Toro eyes is bright I think, black, no discharge, but yeah I can see like the third eye lids of animal and the eyes like dry? not shinny like cats or sugar glider. In the cat it's called third eyelid, but I don't know in tortoise, is Toro's eyes normal or not or maybe sick ? I will post the picture of toro eyes.
3. I use cocopeat and a little of cypress mulch for the substrate, is it okay or maybe dangerous for the eyes, because sometimes his leg moving around eye like rubbed his eyes. I'm afraid it causes injury to the eyes. and when I should change the entire substrate with the new one ? toro still 4.5 cm, 23 gram weight.

by the way, thank you for this forum, nice to meet you all, and I'm very happy to know this forum at my first try keep tortoise. I'm sorry if my english sometimes weird, it's not my first language and sometimes use translation from google.

toro third eye lid.jpg that's the third eye lid I asked about, because I see on the internet, most of the tortoise don't have it.
right side.jpg right side eye, is it bright and clear, and healthy ?

left side.jpg There is a horizontal white line in the left eye or it's just light ?
when close.jpg this is when the eyes close, he is sleepy I think.
susbstre.jpg this is the substrate I use, cocopeat and cypress mulch.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Welcome .... I am not the one with the answers but wanted to say welcome to the forum. Here in the U.S. everyone is just getting going, and I'm sure someone will have your answers shortly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have new tortoise, a 2 months old baby hermanni tortoise. it's name is toro. I don't know the gender because the seller said it's hard to differentiate it while they are still baby. I have some questions about Toro, maybe someone can help :
1. First time keep Toro for 2 weeks it looks fine, Toro can see the food, eat the food. But then after 3 weeks, I notice Toro can't see the food. Toro can go to where the food are, but it tries to eat the air, the head always reach up side, but the food is under it's leg, but toro still can eat after many tries like moving his head to another directions. I think, maybe toro knows the food by the smell not the eyes ? or maybe hatchling tortoise eyes not that good like dogs and cats? or this is normal for hatchling tortoise ?
2. I check on the internet for healthy eyes of tortoise. Toro eyes is bright I think, black, no discharge, but yeah I can see like the third eye lids of animal and the eyes like dry? not shinny like cats or sugar glider. In the cat it's called third eyelid, but I don't know in tortoise, is Toro's eyes normal or not or maybe sick ? I will post the picture of toro eyes.
3. I use cocopeat and a little of cypress mulch for the substrate, is it okay or maybe dangerous for the eyes, because sometimes his leg moving around eye like rubbed his eyes. I'm afraid it causes injury to the eyes. and when I should change the entire substrate with the new one ? toro still 4.5 cm, 23 gram weight.

by the way, thank you for this forum, nice to meet you all, and I'm very happy to know this forum at my first try keep tortoise. I'm sorry if my english sometimes weird, it's not my first language and sometimes use translation from google.

View attachment 366929 that's the third eye lid I asked about, because I see on the internet, most of the tortoise don't have it.
View attachment 366930 right side eye, is it bright and clear, and healthy ?

View attachment 366931 There is a horizontal white line in the left eye or it's just light ?
View attachment 366932 this is when the eyes close, he is sleepy I think.
View attachment 366934 this is the substrate I use, cocopeat and cypress mulch.
Your substrate is fine, but try to hand pack it down firmly.

In the other thread you said you are using a 13 watt cfl bulb for UV. THIS is why those bulbs should not be used. Turn it off immediately. Stop reading and go turn that bulb off right now.

Start here for the correct care info. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a temperate species care sheet near the bottom: