Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trashytort

5 Year Member
Hi all, my name is Lucy and I live in the West Midlands in the UK. I feel I should really say from the beginning that I am not a fan of captive reptiles or exotics. However, I do love tortoises and think they have so much wisdom in those old eyes. I have come across a rescue tortoise, 27 years old that needs a new home, so I feel my conscience will allow me to care for him without feeling guilty. By the way I am not looking for a debate on this issue, I just wanted to get my feelings out of the way.

I want to be able to create a suitable enclosure and look after him for however many years he will live for which hopefully will be a very long time yet. I do rescue and rehoming of cats and dogs but because he will have his own enclosure I am hoping this won't be a problem.

I am really looking forward to this experience with a new friend and hope through the knowledge on these forums I can give him a good life.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Welcome to the forum! What kind of tortoise do you have?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome... do post pics and ask for advice if needed.. and remember, there isnt just one way to keep a tort. what works for one, may not work for you.. :)

Trashytort

5 Year Member
I don't have a tortoise yet, but I am looking into getting a 27 year old Hermanns. He needs to be rehomed so I am trying to find out if I can offer him a suitable home before I commit to taking him in.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It seems like lots of UK tortoise keepers have Hermanns, so I would venture to say that the species probably does well in the English climate. You could read through the threads in the "Hermanns Hangout" section of the forum to find out more about the species as you ponder bringing a Chelonian into your home. ;)

I think it's really exciting to be acquiring a pet that is 27 and likely to live another 50+ years. Tortoise lifespan is one reason I like having a tortoise, since conventional pets leave us bereft and mourning the loss of their presence after only a decade or two. :(

Congratulations on your prospective pet and please post some photos for us to admire as soon as possible! :D http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lucy:

1112062ipgpwrfh12.gif
to the forum!!

Good for you to take in this tortoise!! There are quite a few people in the U.K. who keep tortoises in their gardens. It shouldn't be a problem. When you get all settled, I'd love to see some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.