Intro. Hello All

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragsny

5 Year Member
I am looking forward to having a tortoise join my family. Wanted one since I was a kid, and fell in love with a friends trio. Started reading about them, and in the last weeks, I just get more confused. Many say conflicting advice on diet/hibernation needs. Just found this site, so I think with more research here I can hope to make a choice I will be able to care for. We have very cold winters, so outdoor life would be limited. Also, the pen I build would have to not allow access to the natural soil ( the property may have been sprayed for years). I am an avid gardener most of my life, and have adjusted by growing in containers since I move here three years ago.
If I can't get past proper housing, I can't begin to choose a tortoise.

I think I can recreate "mother nature" in a raised bed/pen area, with perhaps chicken wire running underground? so it can't dig out? Then wood walls 3 feet high? will that work? With filling the pen with a proper mix, instead of the existing soil? Then enclose the walls with chicken wire, and some on top, some plastic roofing on part? Sort of like a chicken coop, only with a buried bottom of chicken wire, to keep it from soil that could have been sprayed years before me living here, and from escaping?

The last question, is about winter hibernation. Inside my home would be too hot since it's all heated. Water pipes do not freeze (so far) under my trailer, but I still worry I might be too cold. So what do you do (for hibernation) if you live in the NY mountain area.?

I was close to choosing a Russian tortoise, but now am not sure.
Thanks
Rags

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

One of our more knowledgeable members lives in New York and hibernates his animals outside. You may want to send GBTortoises a PM and ask him about it. I believe he has several different species of Mediterranean tortoise.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
welcome. this is probably the best place to come with questions, and to find info as well. Just research on here and you'll find answers :)

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! :) i think you should completely isolate the sprayed ground from that of your new elevated bedding with some kind of solid filled barrier so that the plants or anything growing in the bedding won't extend its roots to the sprayed soil...... just to be safe in all directions.... well just my suggestion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.