intelligent

Status
Not open for further replies.

byles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
As im a fairley new member im sure this topic has been covered before, but its always a fun one to have. in your experiences with different torts and torts which do you find to be the most intelligent, weather it be interacting with you or or just with the surrounding environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Sulcatas.
2. CDTs.
3. South African Leopards.
4. Russians
... and I don't have enough experience with Hermanni, platynota or redfoots to classify them, but they are up there too.

byles01

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
1. Sulcatas.
2. CDTs.
3. South African Leopards.
4. Russians
... and I don't have enough experience with Hermanni, platynota or redfoots to classify them, but they are up there too.

i agree with the sulcatas at the number 1 spot for sure, i used to think that a few of my aquatics were the smartest i had ever encountered, until Merlin came into my life, now i know that although they are smart the aquatics are more observant of my habbits then figuring things out on their own, unlike merlins latest discovery. I have a bright orange flyswatter that hangs on the side of our microwave stand and after figuring out where his favorite missing toy (the flyswatter ) dissapered to, he rams the stand till if falls to the ground then he takes off with it. a true problem solver he is.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sullie's....are a friendly bunch , but then again Redfoots are just as eager to please and interact with.......and they have by FAR the best sense of smell and will come running out of nowhere when feeding time occurs.
I would imagine the Gentle Giants Alda's are amazing as well.....
Leos' not in my book ... probably more on the shy side " overall"
CDT's .......naaa' , sun in the am , eat , sleep in the shade all day ~ and one more " warming" before bed time .
JD~:rolleyes:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sulcatas are very personal. I do however believe my Burmese mountains ate the most pecurilar they present just the best docile personality, even the males when breeding arent aggressive. The stars are great but rather shy. They all pose very unique different personalities. But I agree sulcatas are the generalized "Labrador" of torts I suppose.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Out of mine, my Mep and YFs are the most "environmentally aware". I do not currently keep RFs, but they can navigate a maze with reasonable cognitive ability for such.

My sulcatas and leopards seem to behave like most commonly kept grazing animals. Eat, poop, move around a bit, eat, and poop. They will inspect when I am present for what seems like the sake of potentially receiving food. One animal likes neck scratches. My Aldabras seem shy at their current age. The larger of the two will take off running if he spots me. The smaller is more used to me because of special attention I paid to it to make sure it fed well.

My Testudo groups of days past were relatively interactively. My various Hermann's, marginated, and Greeks were roughly equivalent, with a slight nod to the Hermann's. I had exceptional individuals here and there, as is often the case. I had one marginated that would prop himself up over the side of his table and crane his neck if he smelled anything interesting cooking. My Russians that were LTC were relatively boring both in coloration and activity compared to my other tortoises. My CB animals, less so, with one particular female I hatched and raised being above and beyond in terms of look and seemingly inquisitive behavior. My Egyptians were too shy for me to get a good feel for them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I can say that sometimes i am amazed at what i think i see from our male aldabras. Being involved in canine training for many years, i question if some of my observations were just conditioned response or actually of higher intelligent thought. I wish i had some of these observations on video. Anyway, We have had some redfoots that seemed very intelligent also.

205wlck.jpg

byles01

5 Year Member
Ohio
ALDABRAMAN said:
I can say that sometimes i am amazed at what i think i see from our male aldabras. Being involved in canine training for many years, i question if some of my observations were just conditioned response or actually of higher intelligent thought. I wish i had some of these observations on video. Anyway, We have had some redfoots that seemed very intelligent also.

205wlck.jpg

very cool, i would love to get a chance to hang out with a group of aldabras at some point, and really enjoyed reading everyones responses

Status
Not open for further replies.