insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
what would be the best insulation for the tort table im going to build? i wanted to insulate it because our house is kept quite cold

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
heyprettyrave said:
what would be the best insulation for the tort table im going to build? i wanted to insulate it because our house is kept quite cold
I used the sheets of styrofoam isulation board. It's about 1.5" thick and cuts with a utility knife.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
second that,

I'd just add to make sure to get the expanded kind, not the stuff that looks like its made from a bunch of compressed balls. I made that mistake once to save a dime, but it wasn't worth it, toooooooo messy. It needs to be cut with a hot knife, when you cut it with a utility knife or saw all those dang little styrofoam beads get everywhere. :)

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) thanks guys. so did you just put it on the outside, and put something else on top of that?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
sure, if you want it purty. :)

there's a few ways that could be handled. Now that you have me thinking about it, a sheet of styrofoam with 1/4" plywood or paneling of some kind glued to each side would be super strong. Maybe that's how I'll do the walls of my next enclosure.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The 4x8 sheets of 1/2 in thick urethane insulation is all you should need since the table will be inside, the ones that have the alum jacket are the easiest to work with since it can be taped at the corners,cuts with a razor knife.-- Home Depot, Lowes, etc. about $10 a sheet

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
heyprettyrave said:
:) thanks guys. so did you just put it on the outside, and put something else on top of that?
I put mine on the outside because the frame is on the outside with plywood on the inside. It fits flush to the framing and I cut it so it would be tight enough to hold itself in place. Hopefully this makes sense.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
yeah this is exactly what i want to do and i get pupmed thinking about it, my next big thing is i want to make it as realistic as possible (rain forest)

i wanted to make a waterfall basically :p has anyone done this and accomplished it?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Try looking around at dart frog and crested gecko forums. A lot of people with those critters go for naturalistic vivs with water features that are made out of foam insulation covered with concrete or grout, which is then painted and sealed with a non-toxic sealant. From my own experience, don't use plaster (it cracks too easy) and use water-based grout sealant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I think of a "tortoise table", I envision a big open topped, low-sided, enclosure. Insulation won't help you at all in an open topped enclosure. Are you planning on building a completely closed in enclosure? That would be pretty neat. I used the rigid foam insulation on my outdoor tortoise box recently. I used the foil-backed type for the ceiling, over my heat source. It all comes in 4x8' sheets.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well, i just wanted this to be a more permanant home for her.. so thats why im wanting to do all this stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.