Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
Tom said:
Cloud 9 said:
sorta wondering, would moving a tort in and out of different enclosures be considered stressful on the tort? also does age of the tortoise play a factor in whether the can get affected by this "moving around?"

Honestly, yes it COULD play a factor. I think some species might be more sensitive to it than others. There was some discussion of this on a recent hingeback thread. Of course its different for a wild caught adult vs. a captive raised hatchling too. I think the individual tortoises personality would have more to do with this than its age. If started at a young age, I think that they are just used to it. If you move them in and out daily, as I do, from the day they hatch, they don't know it any other way.

While I will admit that it could cause some stress, I must also say that I have been doing it that way with several species for more than 20 years, and I've never had a single problem because of it.

Also, in the wild, a young tortoise would experience a fair amount of "stress" on a daily basis. There is evidence that our "stress-free" captive environments are not ideal for captive wild animals. Some stress, some of the time, MIGHT be a little good for them.

Anthony, Given what I know of your situation, I don't think it matters all that much either way, but I also favor some outside time.

Erin, YOU ROCK! Rob too. I love that enclosure and I think we are due for some baby leopard pics...

Thank you for answering that.
I'm planning on starting next summer having my leopard out on warmer, dryer days and then in at night and on wet, cold days.
My outdoor run would be similar to Erins and I was wondering if this would cause her too much stress.

From your answer I'll just see how it goes. If i think it's too stressful for her i'll re-evaluate and see what suits her best.

Anthony - I have to agree with most people here. I love seeing Tortoises in outdoor enclosures enjoying the sun, grass and fresh air. :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Tom-- I've been moving them inside and out since the day I got them, but what about when I have to move them inside from October-May? When May rolls around will it completely stress them out to be moved again? You know me... I'm a worry wort!!!

Tom said:
Cloud 9 said:
sorta wondering, would moving a tort in and out of different enclosures be considered stressful on the tort? also does age of the tortoise play a factor in whether the can get affected by this "moving around?"

Honestly, yes it COULD play a factor. I think some species might be more sensitive to it than others. There was some discussion of this on a recent hingeback thread. Of course its different for a wild caught adult vs. a captive raised hatchling too. I think the individual tortoises personality would have more to do with this than its age. If started at a young age, I think that they are just used to it. If you move them in and out daily, as I do, from the day they hatch, they don't know it any other way.

While I will admit that it could cause some stress, I must also say that I have been doing it that way with several species for more than 20 years, and I've never had a single problem because of it.

Also, in the wild, a young tortoise would experience a fair amount of "stress" on a daily basis. There is evidence that our "stress-free" captive environments are not ideal for captive wild animals. Some stress, some of the time, MIGHT be a little good for them.

Anthony, Given what I know of your situation, I don't think it matters all that much either way, but I also favor some outside time.

Erin, YOU ROCK! Rob too. I love that enclosure and I think we are due for some baby leopard pics...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sbb, Leopards are one of the species that I've done this with. They are pretty adaptable and hardy. I don't know the climate in the UK, but I'd put my baby out any sunny day when the temps are in the 70's or higher.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Tom said:
Sbb, Leopards are one of the species that I've done this with. They are pretty adaptable and hardy. I don't know the climate in the UK, but I'd put my baby out any sunny day when the temps are in the 70's or higher.

Thank you for that :D
I shall be sure to make sure I get Squirtle out on those days when the sun is shining then :) And not worry so much about her getting too cold or something!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
AnthonyC said:
Ya know it is such a simple idea, leaving out the bottom of the enclosure, yet so brilliant. I've been here smacking my head on the table for a few weeks trying to think of ways to get them to graze safely outdoors. That man's a genius!

CtTortoiseMom said:
Thank's Anthony I cannot take any credit as my husband build's all of their enclosures.

Can you just but out the bottom of the sweater box and staple a fishing net over the top? It is pretty rudimentary but it is quick and will keep them safe.

stephiiberrybean said:
Tom said:
Cloud 9 said:

Thank you for answering that.
I'm planning on starting next summer having my leopard out on warmer, dryer days and then in at night and on wet, cold days.
My outdoor run would be similar to Erins and I was wondering if this would cause her too much stress.

From your answer I'll just see how it goes. If i think it's too stressful for her i'll re-evaluate and see what suits her best.

Anthony - I have to agree with most people here. I love seeing Tortoises in outdoor enclosures enjoying the sun, grass and fresh air. :)

Having your outdoor encl. be like mine is a great compliment. I will tell "Robert" that you like his work :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm sure that could be done BUT... after looking at that TORTO-MINIUM that Rob build I havta' shoot for the moon!!! I'm going w/the wood!! ;)

CtTortoiseMom said:
AnthonyC said:
Ya know it is such a simple idea, leaving out the bottom of the enclosure, yet so brilliant. I've been here smacking my head on the table for a few weeks trying to think of ways to get them to graze safely outdoors. That man's a genius!

CtTortoiseMom said:
Thank's Anthony I cannot take any credit as my husband build's all of their enclosures.

Can you just but out the bottom of the sweater box and staple a fishing net over the top? It is pretty rudimentary but it is quick and will keep them safe.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Hehe Erin. You should set him up making and selling them :)
I'd already done a few plans for my outdoor but would you mind me showing my dad yours so he has a few more ideas to go on when building mine?

I hope you don't mind me saying mine would be like yours, it was the easiest way to describe the sort of enclosure she'l have outside and I think yours is very nicely done :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"Yes, that is one of the drawbacks of living in NYS... I know that you guys in the Catskills get the colder weather much earlier than we do in O.C. What's the temp like @ night for you right now??"

Right now our temperatures at night vary from high 40's (48,49) to the high 50's, occasionally low 60's. Within about 3 weeks we will be in the 40's and low 50's every night.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm dreading that already!!! 40's at night I can live with... 40's & below during the day.... Argh! Totally different story!

GBtortoises said:
"Yes, that is one of the drawbacks of living in NYS... I know that you guys in the Catskills get the colder weather much earlier than we do in O.C. What's the temp like @ night for you right now??"

Right now our temperatures at night vary from high 40's (48,49) to the high 50's, occasionally low 60's. Within about 3 weeks we will be in the 40's and low 50's every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.