Injury

Gus1

I came home from work today to find my little guy "Gus" had injured himself on the front of and below his left eye. It appears there may have been minimal bleeding. Pretty much looks like he has been scraping his face as he's burrowing, does anyone have any information on what I can to help him heal and to do to prevent this behavior. I made my profile picture a picture of him tonight if anyone wants to look at his eye to give me good advice thank you in advance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoise behavior is almost impossible to change. Especially overnight. I'd try to decide what cause the injury and remove or modify it.
Also, some antibiotic ointment wouldn't hurt in the meantime.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Does he have hay in his burrow? If yes, sometimes it is better to exchange it for dried leaves (I personally use oak leaves). My tort has once injured himself quite badly because of some hard straw. It ended up ok but I had to give him tobramycin antibiotic eye drops. So it was a lesson learned for me - no more hay. For now I would use a cotton bud, a very mild disinfectant and topical antibiotic and watch him over the couple of days if the injury is healing.

Gus1

Thank you so much for your responses. The antibiotic seems to have helped a lot. He does have hay so I will make modifications there. I also removed the wood "hut" he sleeps in and exchanged it with a durable plastic one. The wood one he pushes around and I have seen where he tries to go under the side and it is sitting on top of his shell. I'm thinking that may be what he injured himself with. I really want to keep him safe.
Gus is my first tortoise so I am thankful for advise from experienced owners.