Mouth Injury

Tortoisegirl97

Hello everyone,
For about two-three months my tortoise has had a problem on the left side of his mouth. I do not know how he became injured but it appears to keep scabbing over and breaking. This prevents him from being able to open his mouth for food unless I soak him to loosen the injury but he is still eager to eat. I went to the vets and got antibiotics for two weeks and it seemed to improve but then got worse again. Has anyone had a similar situation and is there any antiseptic I could use? Are simple human antiseptics like savlon too dangerous?

Any help would be amazing, thank you.

Tortoisegirl97

Hello there,
i have a horsefield tortoise and he seems to have a mouth injury which isnt mouth rot as he still attempts to eat. It is almost like a scab which falls off and then heals and falls off over and over again. I have been to the vet and he gave an injection of antibiotics that would last two weeks. It hasnt improved and i am wondering if anyone knows any antiseptics which are safe for tortoises even on their face that are easy to get hold of?
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Every time he opens his mouth, he re-opens the wound. Chop up his food into very tiny pieces so he doesn't have to open his mouth so wide. It might not help, but you've got to try anything. You can use a human antibiotic salve. It won't hurt him. In fact, keeping salve on it might keep it soft enough so it doesn't re-open.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Would rub and some aloe on it help? It's toward a safe and it is supposed to help soften the skin.

Tortoisegirl97

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the replies. I am attaching two pictures where you can see the injury. Would that mean it is okay to apply Savlon which we would use to the injury?

20150729_145830[1].jpg 20150730_120057[1].jpg