Injured Sulcata leg

EveCastle

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Hi there. Just noticed my tortoise not walking on his right foot correctly. We have a vet appointment for Wednesday but I can’t seem to find the injury. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9980.jpeg
    IMG_9980.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9974.jpeg
    IMG_9974.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9971.jpeg
    IMG_9971.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9965.jpeg
    IMG_9965.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Maybe something is on the "palm" side of the leg? A spine, crack or it's weared too much because of walking on rough surfaces like concrete

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Are you able to gently flex his foot forward and backward? Does he react at all when you do?

Is he still walking around a relatively normal amount, or is he noticeably inactive? Eating fine?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Could he have a splinter? What kind of surfaces does he walk on? Does the leg have any swelling? Does he have any fluid filled pockets under the skin or blisters? Could it be possible that he has had a tick but it's already fallen of? Does he have any contact with other tortoises?

EveCastle

San Diego CA
I didn’t see any noticeable spike or splinter. Possible crack but it’s hard to see. He does walk on concrete but would it affect only one foot?

He doesn’t mind me touching his leg or pressing on it at all but definitely reacts when I try to flex his foot forward. I recently had a newborn so I can’t say if I noticed he’s walked less recently but seems to be eating fine.

Leg doesn’t look swollen. I didn’t feel any fluid pockets or blisters but hard to see. A tick may be possible. I wasn’t aware ticks could stick to tortoises. No contact with other tortoises.

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I didn’t see any noticeable spike or splinter. Possible crack but it’s hard to see. He does walk on concrete but would it affect only one foot?

He doesn’t mind me touching his leg or pressing on it at all but definitely reacts when I try to flex his foot forward. I recently had a newborn so I can’t say if I noticed he’s walked less recently but seems to be eating fine.

Leg doesn’t look swollen. I didn’t feel any fluid pockets or blisters but hard to see. A tick may be possible. I wasn’t aware ticks could stick to tortoises. No contact with other tortoises.
I don't see any serious wear so concrete is ruled out.

EveCastle

San Diego CA
Update: foot looked swollen today. I think we found a crack/hole where something must’ve punctured his foot. He’s pushing 55-60lbs so not an easy guy to inspect.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hello!
If it's not very deep, you can apply Betadine to the injured site. But I would ask @Yvonne G or @TechnoCheese for a better advice.
I would also try to keep the site clean. Try to do daily soaks with luke warm water or even try to just dip the injured foot in a bowl full of water. I don't have experience of bigger tortoises so I don't know how hard that might be but keeping the site clean is really important before your vet appointment, no matter the method you find best!

EveCastle

San Diego CA
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Went to the vet and he didn’t find anything in his foot. Foot doesn’t appear broken so the vet suggest pain medication first before we have to give him anesthesia to get X-rays. Will update if treatment is working.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

EveCastle

San Diego CA
The pain meds seem to be working. I had to flex his foot into proper position but he seems to be holding weight on it. Any suggestions on tortoise physical therapy?

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I doubt than hydrotherapy will work here (it's for building muscle strength). As pain meds are working, X-rays are clean, no fluids are building up, no rot and so - I would leave him as it is to recover on his own. I would try an elastic bandage (if he won't tear it apart in a glimpse), maybe your vet can make some kind of support (like gypsum).

Both me and The Four Toed Edward are beginner keepers and in your case you need an advice from someone more experienced. So I'm calling you again, @Yvonne G :) And perhaps @Tom can give some guidance.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What is the name of the pain medication? How did the tortoise express that he needed it? Is it oral or injection? Just being my usual suspicious self as far as most vets and tortoises go.

EveCastle

San Diego CA
Three doses of hydromorphone given by injection. 60lbs on the improper foot position I’d assume he’s in pain. He’s tolerating us messing with his foot after the injections so I’d say it’s working. He hasn’t expressed any concerning behaviors otherwise.