Injured leg

Jennie Dlenxh

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth UK
My tortoise seems to have injured her right foreleg somehow. It is not swollen and it moves, but she is not inclined to use it. With support she can still walk and doesn’t recoil in pain if I touch or move it. Any ideas as to what I should do? Cheers fellow tortie parents.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could try water therapy for a couple weeks: Using a large tub the tortoise can't climb out of (even your bath tub), add enough water so the tortoise can't touch the bottom. Allow her to "swim" around in the water for about 15 minutes a day. This is a way to get those muscles moving without putting any stress on them.

Jennie Dlenxh

Plymouth UK
You could try water therapy for a couple weeks: Using a large tub the tortoise can't climb out of (even your bath tub), add enough water so the tortoise can't touch the bottom. Allow her to "swim" around in the water for about 15 minutes a day. This is a way to get those muscles moving without putting any stress on them.
Thanks, I’ll give it a g. I’ll keep you posted. Much appreciate.

Jennie Dlenxh

Plymouth UK
Thanks for the advice. She had her first ‘swim today and is attempting to use the leg. I’ll keep going for a while and try and avoid a vet trip during the lockdown here in the UK, so long as she remains otherwise well.