Injection Info

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Hi guys,
I have seen some reference to administering injections on the forum.

I have read that injections should not be injected into back legs but this is usually in reference to the medication called baytril. Does the same apply for ALL medications?
If so what is the reasoning?

Does this also apply to saline/hydration?

Where should blood sample be taken from?

Thanks in advance for all info..

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
I am not an expert but I'll try to reply to your questions from my own experiences with different vets.
In another thread you can read the story of my tort who has developed a nonmalignant fibroma, very likely due to injections given in back legs. I have no idea whether there would be any difference were the injection given in the front legs. Maybe it was just bad luck. So I am not sure whether there is some correspondence or not.
As far as I know saline and hydration are given in the back legs but not in the same place as injections. They are given into the loose skin above the knees, the part which connects to the shell.
There are two ways of taking blood samples, either the neck (jugular vein) or the tail (coccygeal vein). I don't know which one is preferred but both of my torts are too difficult to immobilize to draw blood from the neck, so they always have blood drawn from the vein located in the tail.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it may have to do with Baytril being so strong. It affects the kidneys. When injected in the front legs it has to go all through the system before it reaches the kidneys. (But this may be my old age memory bringing up the wrong info).

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
The purpose of giving injections in the front legs or pectoral region is because of the Renal-Portal system that reptiles have. So if for example you gave Amikacin in the rear leg, it would go to the kidneys before other parts of the body and possible cause renal damage because Amikacin is nephrotoxic.
If you gave Baytril in the rear leg, that likely would not happen. However, Baytril is very irritating to the muscle and should be given orally. I now give a lot of injections in the pectoral region because it seems to be tolerated well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pectoral region? Like the armpit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, nevermind. I just re-read your other response.