Infrared thermometer?

ofafeather

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Since the search function isn’t currently working I’m not sure if this is already posted one where. Should we is an infrared thermometer to take temps for our soon-to-be-adopted sulcata (15y/o we think)? Will that only measure surface temp and do we need something else for ambient temp? Any recommendations brand/type?

She will be here Saturday or Sunday so we’re trying to be as prepared as we can.

Thanks!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
Infrared thermometer is for the surface temperatures only, but very helpful for checking shell temperature and all the spots around the enclosure.
You need a digital thermometer/hygrometer to monitor ambient temperatures and humidity. Many use Accu-Rite or other devices from a hardware store. Those with external probes are a bit more handy (easier to adjust measurement point). I have opted for "smart" sensors to have a history of measurements through the whole day and push notifications if something's off (like Govee or much more expensive SensorPush). I have two from TP-Link for the cold/warm zones.