Baby Greek Tortoise On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

caymaria

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I posted earlier on how my baby hermanns passed away. We decided to obtain another baby tortoise, but this time are doing things differently. I am paranoid, that I just want to do everything right.

Here is what I have so far...I am reading so much conflicting info on the Greeks and temperature settings, especially temps. at night and substrates. (we were going to get a russian, but they were unavailable).

I want to make sure everything is set up sufficiently for this type of tortoise (Baby (Ibera) Greek Tortoise) before she/he arrives tomorrow! :) We're excited!

Please offer suggestions/input. I'm open to any info you can kindly provide.

1. Large Plastic Bin 105 QT for now (we're getting rid of the vision cage) and I plan on upgrading to a larger enclosure eventually.

2. SUBSTRATE/HUMIDITY: Green carpet for bottom of enclosure with coconut fiber eco earth and forest floor cypress bedding mix 50/50.

I also bought 3 types of mosses to maintain some humidity in a hide box to see which one works best (nature zone, Exo Terra Forest Moss, frog moss) although I am reading that these 'lil guys do not require high humidity temps. Should I just place some of the moss in the hidebox only, or can some sections be scattered in the enclosure? Do their enclosures require spraying water to maintain humidty?

I also purchased an infrared thermometer gun as well as a humidity/temp combo for inside the enclosure.

3. Since the plastic container is larger (105 quart) I will be using lamp stand with Powersun UVA/UVB on one end. 100 watt. I imagine this should be enough to regulate the day and basking temp. as it gets pretty hot under these. Will this be sufficient alone during the day, with other end of enclosure having hide spot and no light?

4. At night, our room temp. drops to about 60-65. Should I leave a red mercury bulb on at night or will the room temp./no lights be safe enough for this baby tort? This is one of my main concerns. The 60s seem low, so I would like some clarification on this.

Thank you again. You all have been so helpful!
Cayla

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
60 seems a bit cold at night to me. but that's an easy fix, you can buy a regular old black light from the store (like the one's used at halloween) and that should help boost the night time temps :)
Good luck!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Night temps should be around 75 and the day temps can go up to Around 87.
For nights I use a ceramic heater set on a thermostat.

I don't agree with any sort of lighting at night.
The great thing about Greeks is they do not need a huge amount of humidity.

Good luck:D

caymaria

5 Year Member
Thanks! Also, what wattage would you suggest for 105 qt bin. The temp. around here is set at 60-65 so it gets cold in my house at night! Should I go with 100 or lower for the ceramic heater?

caymaria

5 Year Member
She/he arrived! I thought this one would be tiny like the last one, but it is almost a year old (born last July). I am very pleased. She is gorgeous!

caymaria

5 Year Member
Will post pics soon! She is quite the eater. Went to the store and bought some fresh dandelion greens, escarole, collards, endive, parsley, other greens and a container of spring mix and made some mini meals for the week in a ziplock wrapped in small paper towels. Hope this keeps it fresh as long as possible. Cactus pads and mazuri is on its way! I keep checking on her and at one point she managed to flip on her back (don't know how considering there's not many things she can tip off). Gave her a few seconds and she turned herself right over with no problems using her head and feet. (after staring at me for a second saying hey, you going to help?) I think she is an expert at this! :) I'm going to put some more mini rocks in there and a few small items so she has something to use as an anchor in case it happens again. (geez, only had her a few hours and she is already getting into trouble!) :)

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
That is so cute! I'm so excited for you! My favorie part of the forum is reading peoples stories about their torts and their individual personalities!! Babies are so funny! I want one horribly but Kali is already a handful. Until we get her all settled and figured out we are going to hold out but I definitely have a bug for a new one!! Congrats on the new baby and good luck! She sounds like she will be quite amusing!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.