Infant Red Ear Sliders?

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. CA
Hello,
I do not keep aquatics at all and I have a member who just discovered two babies in her pond from her adults. It is approaching the 30's overnight where she lives and she is not sure if she should take them in and keep them up or let them ride it out in the manmade raised pond in the yard with the adults.

I hope this does not sound like a stupid question, but I truly do not know much about the water critters. Thank you for any help with her question.
:tort:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its up to you . But I would bring them in for the winter . They may make it outside???? Who knows but why risk it .

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
mike taylor said:
Its up to you . But I would bring them in for the winter . They may make it outside???? Who knows but why risk it .

That is what I want to tell her, but I really wanted someone who keeps them to confirm I am not over reacting.
Thank you,

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem . I have two out in the garage in a concrete mixing tub . With a basking spot and uvb fixture. The filter I use is a fluvil canister filter. I think I may have spelled fluvil wrong but you get the point . But for the little ones you can buy a small turtle set up from petco for like 100.00$ or so that works great. If you outdoor pond is at least three feet or more with a good silt bed in the bottom they should be fine .

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I bring my sliders in when the overnight temps get into the 40s. They can and do hibernate here in CT, but they don't NEED to, so I don't risk it.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Anthony P said:
I bring my sliders in when the overnight temps get into the 40s. They can and do hibernate here in CT, but they don't NEED to, so I don't risk it.

Thank you all - I told her that it is recommended to bring them in for the winter especially while they are so tiny. She does have a set up indoors so it is not an issue for her to keep the babies up. Her adults do fine outside all year and someday these two tiny ones can too - just not yet.

Again - thank you so much.