inexpensive and easy outdoor habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
so here's what i did this weekend,its about half done was very easy and cheap too build.if ya ask around there are people just dying too get rid of left over cinderblocks.
34j9niw.jpg

2utq51c.jpg

2vxr2ia.jpg

x6fofl.jpg

it ain't pretty but it works for me an my hoard.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
I'm getting ready to start my outdoor setup as well. Looks good. What is the mesh for underneath the soil?

John

5 Year Member
CtTortoise said:
I'm getting ready to start my outdoor setup as well. Looks good. What is the mesh for underneath the soil?

no chance of them digging out,or unwelcomed visitors digging in

John

5 Year Member
CtTortoise said:
This is why I'm on this forum. I would not have thought of that! What is it made of?

i bought the cheaper stuff,its a plastic of some sort its half the price of the wire mesh and does not rot or corode.and is strong enough too do the job. john

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
John, I speak from unfortunate experience, the plastic mesh will not even slow rodents down. It will certainly keep the torts in unless the rodents chew a hole through it.

I love that style of enclosure. Most of the day they get a little shade from one wall or the other. I wish someone around here had cinderblocks they wanted to get rid of...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Tom, do you cruise craigs list? i see them and other materials on there occasionally.
Trade section or the Farm/livestock section.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Lookin' good John,

You're givin' me a kick to get off my butt and do the same. Spring is here. Now if only I'll get lucky and find some cinder blocks as well. I priced out enough to do what I want and had a little sticker shock a while back.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Cinder blocks are like good fill. Always free and available when you don't need any, none to be found when you do!

John

5 Year Member
Tom said:
John, I speak from unfortunate experience, the plastic mesh will not even slow rodents down. It will certainly keep the torts in unless the rodents chew a hole through it.

I love that style of enclosure. Most of the day they get a little shade from one wall or the other. I wish someone around here had cinderblocks they wanted to get rid of...

tom i went back and forth several times metal ,plastic.in my situation i don't plan on leaving the torts out overnight and all my predators are nocturnal,so i think the plastic will work for me.the top of course will have too be a heavy gauge hardwarecloth there is definately danger from the sky and the feral cats.i guess my main concern is keeping my guys from digging out

Balboa said:
Lookin' good John,

You're givin' me a kick to get off my butt and do the same. Spring is here. Now if only I'll get lucky and find some cinder blocks as well. I priced out enough to do what I want and had a little sticker shock a while back.

well get going brett,and yes they can be expensive here where i live they are $1.47 each

i finished the dirt now i have too plant the tortoise graze and provide a couple hides and then we are ready to go

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I top mine with red pavers. It ups the expense a little but gives it a more "finished" look. The cinder blocks are $1 each, and it takes 4 pavers, which makes it about $2 per 16" of wall. I especially like that I can move things around and expand easily when I want to.

KristinasPictures3845.jpg

KristinasPictures3810.jpg

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Love the pavers! I never know what to do with the ugly cinder block holes, Usually I plant some rosemary in them - but then it make it a pain to move around when I want to expand. Thanks for a great idea! :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice job John. I'm moving to a new house this week and I'll have to set up about 5 of these. You wanna come over and help?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Neal said:
Nice job John. I'm moving to a new house this week and I'll have to set up about 5 of these. You wanna come over and help?
[/quo
I'll would love to help you :) I got nothing going on this week get me a plane ticket and I'm there:p LOL

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My concern is their feet getting caught in the mesh or wire. I am building an enclosure and worried about that. This is what made me think of it. When we built our house they put staw woven in a fishing line type mess on all the banks, then we planted ice plant in it. The straw rotted, but the mess didn't. Well over the years I have found many dead snakes and lizards that got stuck and died. Do you think a turtle or tort could get hurt this way?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I always tell people to not use those rolls of fescue turf in their tortoise pens. I made the mistake of using a roll way, way back when...After a few years in the ground, the plastic mesh started coming up and the tortoises got their feet stuck in it. I could only imagine what would happen if I weren't there to rescue them, or if it had been a neck instead of a foot.

But in John's case, I think the mesh he's using is a heavier type, plus with the top soil over it, it should stay down where he's planted it.

John

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That's why I always tell people to not use those rolls of fescue turf in their tortoise pens. I made the mistake of using a roll way, way back when...After a few years in the ground, the plastic mesh started coming up and the tortoises got their feet stuck in it. I could only imagine what would happen if I weren't there to rescue them, or if it had been a neck instead of a foot.

But in John's case, I think the mesh he's using is a heavier type, plus with the top soil over it, it should stay down where he's planted it.

good looking out yvonne,i put 3" of top soil over the mesh and today i dumped a bunch of tortoise graze seed in there,updated pics too follow.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
coreyc said:
Neal said:
I'll would love to help you :) I got nothing going on this week get me a plane ticket and I'm there:p LOL

Hey I'm game for that too. Might have to check my pockets for baby leopards when I leave though :)

John

5 Year Member
sorry neal and brett just saw this i've been busy myself.yeah neal i'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.