Inducing a female star tortoise to breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnatx

10 Year Member!
Hi all, i am wondering if there is a way to get a reluctant female star to mate with an ever so eager male star, the female is of breeding size and weight and has been with me for years and kept seperately from the males, they are unfortunatly housed indoors with all climate aspects controlled atificially-humidity-temprature-uv and so forth, when the male has been introduced the female becomes very dominate and ends any effort of the male to mount her very promptly. Any ideas or approaches are welcome, and this is my first post so go easy please :)

1996Rishabh

5 Year Member
Try Keeping Them Together For Some Weeks/Months... They'll Get Along Eventually... And In Case Of Stars One Shouldn't Worry About Any Injuries And All.. Beacause They Are Very Peaceful :) Good Luck :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I agree about keeping them together longer. There isn't anything you can do otherwise. In my experience, you will rarely see a female of any type eager to mate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi johnatx:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It is sometimes a good idea to introduce animals in totally new and different habitats. If you put the male in the female's habitat, she has to defend her territory and get him out of there. Likewise if you put her in his habitat. So if you put them both into neutral territory, they won't have to be on the defensive.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
In my experience, you will rarely see a female of any type eager to mate.

It's probably the time of night, the bad cold, and the Nyquil, but that statement made me laugh so hard I cried.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RianSeeking said:
In my experience, you will rarely see a female of any type eager to mate.

It's probably the time of night, the bad cold, and the Nyquil, but that statement made me laugh so hard I cried.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.