Indoor overnight enclosure

Currin

Hey all!
I'm a new redfoot parent. My guy is 2 yrs old. I live in Fl and we have built him a great outdoor enclosure. However, I am curious as to the best type of indoor enclosure for him assuming the temps ever cool off here. Looking for a simple idea to house him indoors overnight. Suggestions? Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since it's only for overnight housing, a simple cardboard box with shredded newspaper will suffice. They normally only sleep at night and don't really need a whole other habitat set up. If you plan on having him live in there for longer than an overnighter, then you can get a large plastic tub or a horse or cattle trough and set it up with substrate, feeder, waterer and lights/heat.

Currin

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate the feedback. I will definitely pick up a large box or tub.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Home Depot has a 54 gallon one that works well. It's about $27. It's about 40 x 20", I knew I could definitely good for overnight but OK if he had to spend a week or two in it.

Currin

Oh perfect! Thank you. I need to go there anyway and will definitely look into that

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451355328.614376.jpg this is it. I find them very handy. I have used them as temporary enclosures for tortoises and box turtles as well as my chickens. And heck, there's always a use for a bin. Don't forget the lid :)

Currin

That...is...PERFECT!!! I have chickens as well. You're right...always a use for a bin!! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If it ever does cool off here. I also use totes.
make sure that you place down a layer of newspaper and then shredded newspaper (Or hay) on top. The Redfoot will want to be covered by something and they poop a lot in the tubs. having paper down makes clean-up much easier. And faster.