Indoor Greek Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
After weeks and weeks of rearraning, changing substrate, experimenting with hay, and experimenting with sphagnum moss I've finally finished my two greeks enclosure.

I didn't want something over the top or crowded so I just tried to keep it as simple as possible. Plus it was super affordable to put together!

enclosure1.png

enclosure2.png

enclosure3.png

Dry Hide:
enclosure4.png

Humid Hide(Plus Willow sleeping and Indie's tush :p) :
enclosure5.png

The only thing left to do is cap off the corner above the dry hide. I don't even want to imagine Indie climbing over that and falling 3 feet to the floor:(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks good, and very good on the corner near the hide....that corner freaked me out, but you are already fixing the corner...all good :D and they are both adorable....

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
ascott said:
Looks good, and very good on the corner near the hide....that corner freaked me out, but you are already fixing the corner...all good :D and they are both adorable....

Thank you :)
The corner scares me lol I wasn't going to put so much dirt up there but it's Willow's favorite spot and she's not big enough to climb over the top yet. Indie on the other hand rarely goes up there but she is big enough to get over it so it still worries me.
I can't decided whether to cap it off or add something to make the wall higher. I'm worried if I only cap it off and she tries to climb over she may still manage to find a way out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You may be able to use like a binder (three ring turned inside out so the rings out facing away from the enclosure) and put it up against the entire corner, they should not be able to climb out that spot then....I would really try to get it handled as the moment you feel a moment of "I have time" that is when you will have your worst nightmares come to fruition....in my opinion :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
How does this look:

enclosure6.png

enclosure7.png

I never knew my old composition notebooks from freshmen year would be of such use:p haha
Do you think this will work until I can go out and get a binder?

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I stood up a slate tile from Lowes to ensure our guyzos can't climb off of their basking spot. I'll try to get a pic tonight, if you'd like.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Hm.. that worries me since your walls are kinda low...mine are excellent climbers so just watch them and make sure they aren't able to climb out. I can see them trying to climb over the thermometer probe or over a plant and inching out hehe. Maybe put a cover over it and such. I recently made one using some thing wood framing and chicken wire to cover it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Do you have the original lid that came with the enclosure? You could cut most of the inside of the lid out leaving 2 inches along the edges, file down any rough spots, and snap it back on. That way you would have a nice secure edge/cap?

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Mao Senpai said:
Hm.. that worries me since your walls are kinda low...mine are excellent climbers so just watch them and make sure they aren't able to climb out. I can see them trying to climb over the thermometer probe or over a plant and inching out hehe. Maybe put a cover over it and such. I recently made one using some thing wood framing and chicken wire to cover it.
The biggest of the two is only 2 inches, she can barely reach the bottom of the thermometer on the cool side:p What do you keep your greeks in? I'm moving in to a bigger house around the beginning of the new year and plan on making them a proper tortoise table that will also work once they are full grown.

lynnedit said:
Do you have the original lid that came with the enclosure? You could cut most of the inside of the lid out leaving 2 inches along the edges, file down any rough spots, and snap it back on. That way you would have a nice secure edge/cap?

That's a really good idea! Thank you:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, you might have to drill a pilot hole to get started, maybe a couple. Then you need a sturdy pair of tin snips (I think that is what they are called: stubby cutting end, long handle, lol), or a small hack saw. Plastic isn't hard to cut, it is just awkward.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I just recently redid their homes since the old one was driving me crazy since I made it in a rush and it was just bleh. The newer thing is cleaner and lighter so I can at least clean properly. It has a little less space but at least it keeps my cats out now lol. But here it goes. Enclosure.jpg
it was just a tub I purchased at lowes for like.. 13 dollars and the little frame sticks was 2-3 dollars and the mesh I had previously and I just stapled the frames together and the mesh to it... it was surprisingly simpler than what I had in my head haha. I am planning on putting something underneath them so it sits up a bit higher but for now this will do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.