Indoor for a Redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
So I am working on an indoor for my Redfoot. The largest rubbermaid's I'm finding are too small, or oddly shaped. Of course the right size one is Out of Order online...I can't find any of these "Christmas Tree Boxes" for sale locally or even online..

Maybe a bookcase?

What dimension should the Bookcase be? They are easy enough to find dirt cheap, anywhere.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Book cases work extremely well. You need to find a bookcase thats as big as you can possibly fit in your house. I use 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs from lowes if you havent checked those out then you should.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I'll have to check those out. Problem I've had with the book cases..they may be long enough, wide enough, etc..but not very high at all.

My RF is full grown, and obviously outdoor is optimal. But there are those times and days he just needs to be in, of course. And I want his time spent indoors to be as enjoyable as possible!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would shoot for at 12 inches tall then so he cant get out but I would make a top for it so he cant get out.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Yeah, I'd work something out for a top. Would a 50 gal rubbermaid be too small? I can't picture the dimensions, or how long it'd be. Would it be more deep than long, and not long enough?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Nixxy said:
Yeah, I'd work something out for a top. Would a 50 gal rubbermaid be too small? I can't picture the dimensions, or how long it'd be. Would it be more deep than long, and not long enough?
If he is an adult then one 50 gallon wont be enough. You would want to connect two of them together at the very least.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
My adults don't come in at all unless it's below 50 degrees outside. I've decide in the cold winter months (usually just jan and feb) this year, I'm giving them a bedroom of their own. Lol. :)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
That's what I was thinking, Eweezy. But I'd rather find one of those 4'+ Christmas Tree Boxes. They are overall built better for it, as well.

Except for Jun/Jul, the weather is pretty damn cold here year around. >.>

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I need to get started on my new indoor space pretty soon. Here are my general plans...

BASE- a simple set of pipe legs (either iron pipe or PVC), built to be free-standing, with some 'runners' bolted to the top to help support the table, on heavy-duty casters. Base is only 'knee high'.

BOX- a simple plywood box with outer dimensions of 8' x 4' x16" high. I'm going to build it so it folds in half down the short middle, so it will be easier to get in and out of the room it is going in. Stain the sides nicely, line with plastic tarp.

TOP- a PVC pipe frame that rests inside the box and extends up 4'. It will be covered with a 'tent' of clear vinyl film. A couple of braces inside will support lighting.

ACCESSORIES- 5-6" layer of cypress mulch. An 18" wide hide box along one end with two access holes. Recessed water dish. Potted plants buried in the mulch.

ENVIRONMENTAL- A space heater with thermostat and humidifier will sit on the top of the hide. Two waterproof heat ropes will be secured to some pieces of tin and set under the substrate. 2 medium-sized CHEs on a thermostat. 24-36" low-UVB bulb on a timer.

I am not much of a carpenter (but pretty decent in general fabrication), so nothing fancy about the measurements or construction techniques. I am also moderately broke, so nothing expensive. I am making it in three parts to make it easier to get in and out of the room, as well as to spread the costs out a bit. The vinyl 'tent' should let me keep the space well heated and humidified without wasting a lot of energy.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Madkins007 said:
I need to get started on my new indoor space pretty soon. Here are my general plans...

BASE- a simple set of pipe legs (either iron pipe or PVC), built to be free-standing, with some 'runners' bolted to the top to help support the table, on heavy-duty casters. Base is only 'knee high'.

BOX- a simple plywood box with outer dimensions of 8' x 4' x16" high. I'm going to build it so it folds in half down the short middle, so it will be easier to get in and out of the room it is going in. Stain the sides nicely, line with plastic tarp.

TOP- a PVC pipe frame that rests inside the box and extends up 4'. It will be covered with a 'tent' of clear vinyl film. A couple of braces inside will support lighting.

ACCESSORIES- 5-6" layer of cypress mulch. An 18" wide hide box along one end with two access holes. Recessed water dish. Potted plants buried in the mulch.

ENVIRONMENTAL- A space heater with thermostat and humidifier will sit on the top of the hide. Two waterproof heat ropes will be secured to some pieces of tin and set under the substrate. 2 medium-sized CHEs on a thermostat. 24-36" low-UVB bulb on a timer.

I am not much of a carpenter (but pretty decent in general fabrication), so nothing fancy about the measurements or construction techniques. I am also moderately broke, so nothing expensive. I am making it in three parts to make it easier to get in and out of the room, as well as to spread the costs out a bit. The vinyl 'tent' should let me keep the space well heated and humidified without wasting a lot of energy.

Nice. Sounds a lot like mine. Post some pics of the construction for us. :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I know not everyone has a huge, square-shaped 130-gal tank lying around, but the enclosure material aside, feel free to check out the thread in my signature for ideas.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
It was a freebie from a friend, years ago.

My enclosure just happens to be transparent glass on all sides (and weighs a ton!). You can essentially create the same thing with an overturned book case, or building your own tortoise table.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I'll get a book case for now, I believe. I think I'll take two of the shelves and make a hidebox out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.