Indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopkinsn

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new to this forum. I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I have a year old hermanns who is currently in a viv as this is what the pet shop told me was best for him. After researching a bit more i now know a tortoise table is the best so I am going to attempt to make one. I was thinking something like thisImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364086295.110278.jpg. Now for some questions. Can I put my 3ft uv strip light 10% on one side or is it best to have a uv spot light. I am using a mix of topsoil and play sand, will this be enough humidity or do I need to do something else and will temps be ok or do I need something other than spotlights and uv lights. Also I have 4 dogs so want to add a mesh lid, is this ok? Last questions what wood is best to use for the enclosure, I was thinking of marine ply. Do u need to seal or varnish it, don't want to line it as find it harder to clean.

Many Thanks,
Nicky

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California

hopkinsn

5 Year Member
Thankyou for your help. I got the picture off google images after scouring for ages for one that matched my needs. Am going to start the job today

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
That looks to be 2"x10"or12" that they used there. You don't really need anything that thick but it's a personal choice. You want to think about how hard it's going to be to move it to a different spot later or actually moving it to your new place and 2x material is gonna add some weight. Marine grade is not necessary, regular old 3/4" pine ply will do. Sealing is optional, unless you have to keep it humid and are constantly adding water. I sealed mine because I rent and didn't want to make a mess incase there was a spill. But generally, ply will soak it up and dry out before it ever works all the way through.
Screen and plexi will block out uv from the light unless you put it under the cover. You can find an assortment of wire fencing in rolls in the gardening section of home improvement stores. Those won't block out much, if at all and keep your tort safe from your other pets. Please let me know if you have anymore questions. As a point of reference, 2 sheets of 3/4" ply, a small box of 2" drywall screws, and a drill gun with 1/8" drill bit (taking in to account you already have that tool) will net you a 4'x8' enclosure with 16" walls for just under $50.

hopkinsn

5 Year Member
Thankyou that's really helpful

Will be using wire fencing in a frame for the lid so lights shouldn't be a problem but which is a better option strip uv light attached to the side or a uv spot lamp

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Both usually, just depends on size of the enclosure, what kind of tort, and how often they stay outside. Average seems to be: if they get 3 days a week outside to soak up uv's, you can make do with a spot. If not, then they need a alternative UV source and a tube has more coverage if it's a larger enclosure...which most will say it needs to be. I have a 2 story enclosure that's 4' long, so I'll be using 2 sets of a 2' uv tube and a heat spot.

Oh! If you use a tube, don't attach it to the side (you risk the tort reaching it and hurting themselves.) It best to hang it over the enclosure, out of reach. The spot should be hung over as well, by chain, so that you can move it up and down easier to adjust the temp.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The strip light will work fine in conjunction with a CHE or basking bulb.

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I bought a 7ft bookshelf and put it together with no shelves. It ended up really good. Then I just went to the store and bought a foldable 7ft table. My little Abby loves it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.