Closed chamber help

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
First off let me apologize for I know this will be long-winded. But a big thanks ahead of time to anyone who takes the time to read it and more so respond. I am going to listen to everyone who told me my tortoise table is not suitable for my sulcata tortoise and start building a closed chamber. I have a read alot lot of the old post about them but still have some questions. So here goes. What I am thinking is I would like to build a big one so he can use it for a while before he outgrows it. I'm thinking about going 10ft long 4ft wide and 30in hight. So my first question is I'm leaning towards plywood, what have you guys found is the best to seal it with as I do not want paint flaking off inside. Also you guys seal the joints on these as well? Should I just use a silicone? How many che should I use? 1 or 2. What kind of uv tube, and do I use the T5 or the T8? And how long of a bulb? Should I use one or two and also will those put off enough light or should I put in a regular fluorescent tube light too for more light?, Was going to use the 65 watt flood light for the Baskin light. How should I mount these? I was thinking about putting the two che's on one end, basking in the middle, and then do I want UV light running all the way the whole length of the enclosure? What kind of door works best a sliding door or one on hinges? From what I have read and been told, whole enclosure 80, basking 90-100, and 80-90 humidity? Once you drill a hole large enough to run all your wires out of the enclosure how do you seal the holes up? Do you just use like a caulk or something. What do you recommend for a temperature and humidity gauge and where do you place the probe at? Do I need one on both ends of the enclosure? Sorry for so many questions, I invested alot of time into my tort table, and just want to do it right this time lol. Thanks to all, and on a side note Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Jay

Have you seen the post I did on the one I built? A lot of your questions would be answered there. Go ahead and look it over, the come back with any questions you still have. I'll be happy to go over light and CHE placements and recommendations with you.

https://tortoiseforum.org/posts/1295801

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Jay

Have you seen the post I did on the one I built? A lot of your questions would be answered there. Go ahead and look it over, the come back with any questions you still have. I'll be happy to go over light and CHE placements and recommendations with you.

https://tortoiseforum.org/posts/1295801
Will do, thankyou. There were so many post on them, I read alot of them. Will check it out now, thanks again.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Will do, thankyou. There were so many post on them, I read alot of them. Will check it out now, thanks again.
WOW!! You did a fabulous job on that, your attention to detail is great. You have given me a lot to go on. Do the flood lights keep the che's from kicking on much durring the day? And it looked like you had one che on each end?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes. The Che never kicks on during the day as the floods and fluorescent ballasts provide plenty of heat. In fact in can overheat in summer so I have a thermostat on the floods set at 90 to kick them off if it gets that high. Since I have such good ambient light and they wouldn’t kick off til 90f it works great

I do have a Che on each end to distribute heating and avoid having a larger one that would create a hot spot

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yes. The Che never kicks on during the day as the floods and fluorescent ballasts provide plenty of heat. In fact in can overheat in summer so I have a thermostat on the floods set at 90 to kick them off if it gets that high. Since I have such good ambient light and they wouldn’t kick off til 90f it works great

I do have a Che on each end to distribute heating and avoid having a larger one that would create a hot spot
U realy got it dialed in, I hope mine looks and functions that well when complete.