Indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenwalker172

5 Year Member
Hey all I was just wanting some advice on keeping a juvenile leopard tortoise indoors during the winter months. When you let your tortoise roam freely in the house(if you do let the roam the house) how do you prevent them from wetting or pooping on the floor (if possible) and what other advice in general do you have. I know he is going to miss the summer and being able to sleep in his pen outside and being outside 24/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
This would be much easier for you to get replys if you posted it in the ''Tortoise Enclosures'' Section...This souns kinda pushy i dont meen it to be.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Most people will generally agree that it is not a good idea to let your tortoise roam free around your house. You should look into building a tortoise table for your leopard. There are a lot of great examples here on the forum if you look in the enclosures section.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
A tortoise table would be your best option for an indoor enclosure. This will allow for your tortoise to feel safe and you dont have to worry about pee on the floor. You should look through the enclosure section for ideas, there are a lot of great enclosures there with a ton of pictures...

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I agree, I built a tortoise table for my Red Foot and he seems to be perfectly happy. Heres a picture of mine; they are pretty easy to build since its basically just a box lol :).

Attachments

• DSC01242.JPG
    DSC01242.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01244.JPG
    DSC01244.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 38
M

Maggie Cummings

Watermelon said:
Aren't tropical torts better off in vivs indoors?

What do you mean by that? A viv as opposed to a tort table? Or a viv as opposed to roaming the floor? Explain better for me please...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tyler0912 said:
This would be much easier for you to get replys if you posted it in the ''Tortoise Enclosures'' Section...This souns kinda pushy i dont meen it to be.

Sorry, Tyler...I believe this to be a "General Tortoise Discussion" question. Yes, most of the answers are going to touch on enclosures, but the question concerns any type of tortoise and roaming the house, not an enclosure.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its going to be too cold on the floor, unless you have that very nice under the floor radiant heating...
also, your tort will find all sorts of unsafe things to eat. tacks, dust bunnies etc.
they also cant be house broken.. so that is kinda gross to allow...
tort table or something on the floor in the corner with its own light and heat.
OR build a outdoor enclosure that will allow them to live outside. You are going to need this someday.. Shed? Greenhouse?
Also, your tort will feel much more secure in its own space.

Status
Not open for further replies.