indoor/outdoor tortoise life

mpr2101

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
A question for those experienced with care of Horsfield's tortoises:

I live in Chicago and have a 3-year old Horsfield's that I inherited two months ago. Currently, she spends her nights inside the house, in a terrarium (about 2x4'). We also built her an outdoor enclosure in the garden (maybe 10'x15'), where she spends warmer days. She clearly prefers to be outdoors - more room to roam, better stuff to dig in, etc. But now it's getting cooler (currently around 73 F). At what temperature does the advantages (to her) of being outside and having more roaming space outweigh the advantages of being inside and warmer? (at some point in the not-so-distant future, we're going to build her a larger indoor enclosure, but we don't have the space for a 10'x15' enclosure in the house). Thank you in advance for your help and advice! (and thanks so much to those who wrote back to my previous question about her diet!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thermometer may say 73 degrees, but tortoises are able to find spots where they can warm up higher than that. As long as the sun is shining and he has shelter from wind I 'd keep putting him out.

Reactions: Tom

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Glad too see another member from Chicago! Anyways, if the suns out, and the weather is clear, there's a good chance I'm putting my tortoise outside. As stated above, Russians are very hardy, and can regulate their temperatures. Although 70 is on the low side, it won't bother them. Before long we're going to have snow, so take advantage of these sunny days!

mpr2101

Chicago
Thank you for these responses! They are really helpful (and Daphne the tortoise will benefit greatly). Ok, last question - the backyard (where her enclosure is) is shady at certain times of day. Still ok to have her out? Or does she need a spot of direct sun on cool days to keep warm? (I assume that shade is ok when the outside temp is hot... is that correct?) Thanks so much!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings!

Id suggest getting one of the pretty cheap point and shoot/infra red temperature reading guns and use it to read the ground trmperature where your tort is hanging out, even on “cloudy” days. The ground stays warm and slowly cools etc. you will be surprized how warm a protected spot can be - with or w/o direct sun.

C9459939-13A7-4453-B72F-2B4D01BE73BD.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for these responses! They are really helpful (and Daphne the tortoise will benefit greatly). Ok, last question - the backyard (where her enclosure is) is shady at certain times of day. Still ok to have her out? Or does she need a spot of direct sun on cool days to keep warm? (I assume that shade is ok when the outside temp is hot... is that correct?) Thanks so much!
For a russian, if its over 60, sunny and dry, they should be fine outside. No point in putting the tortoise out if it is shady and cool. Use an infrared thermometer to check ground temps and tortoise carapace temps.

Definitely need a larger indoor enclosure ASAP.