Indoor Enclosure Dilemma

wd1882

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama, USA
Going to be getting a Russian pretty soon. I have the capability to build my own indoor habitat, similar to those you see being sold on LLLReptiles, but after going to the pet store today to look around and seeing how big a 40 gallon tank is, I'm a bit conflicted...
What do you guys think I should do here?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would build a tortoise table, using a bookcase on its back, shelves removed and build up. There should be good ideas under " enclosures"
This way it will be bigger and better!! :)

Yurusumaji

5 Year Member
The Mile High City
My Greek is currently living in a 40 gal reptile tank. It looks big on a shelf, but once you put the tort and all its stuff in you'll realize just how small it is. I HATE it. HE hates it. And because the top is mesh, it doesn't hold in heat/humidity in the slightest. The clear sides also cause them to smack themselves up against the edge, trying to get out. He's getting an all-new indoor enclosure that I'll be putting together before it gets too cold this year.

I highly recommend forgetting the 40gal and either doing closed chamber tubs, the bookcase idea kathyth suggested, or if you're up for it you can get one of the portable greenhouses and build a base for it (this is what I am upgrading to, though I think Russians are bigger, so not 100% positive this is the best size for your tort as my Greek is rather small).

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Make it a lot larger. An adult Russian should have a minimum of 4' X 8' enclosure.

wd1882

Central Alabama, USA
That's 24x36x12. I was thinking 38x48(60 maybe?)x12

12 is fine in height IMO.

48" in length is fair, and 38" width is larger than you'd think. Smaller than 4'x8', but would suffice for the indoor and I could let it walk around in the floor or outside fairly often.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
a 40 gallon won't cut it they are a tort that has been known to wander far distances a day to graze they're programmed to walk basically

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Make a secure outdoor habitat rather than counting on it walking around out there. Don't let it walk around indoors. Too many hazards, and the hard floor can be bad for feet and legs.

I'd go 14" high because RTs are climbers. Don't forget to allow for the depth of the substrate. If you have 4" of substrate in a 12" tall habitat, your walls are effectively only 8" high.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The bookcase idea is probably the easiest. It makes it easy to get bigger floorspace for the tortoise. 12 inches tall will work if you cover it. Russians love to dig I mean love it. When I had an enclosure that was a foot tall I actually had substrate up to 10 inches deep in a couple of the corners and my Russian dog in it all the time.
From personal experience I suggest taking a little more time to plan and then build a large enclosure. If you build a smaller one you will not be happy and you will end up increasing the size. It will be much cheaper and easier to do it right the first time so you do not have to redo it. If that means it takes a little more time now that's okay. 4 x 8 is what I would go for indoors. There are ways to make a two-story enclosure that can also add floorspace for your tortoise. There are some very creative ones in the enclosures section.