Incubator substrate

Tim Donahue

5 Year Member
Just found 2 ebt eggs laying on ground. I put them onto some potting soil and then into an incubator set at 84 Degrees and keeping it at 90% humidity.
I'm unsure if potting soil is okay for this process, or if I should use some other material.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

upload_2016-7-26_17-27-21.png

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It seems most successful breeders use vermiculite. I personally have used several layers of moist paper towels, with a small depression poked in with my finger to hold the egg. I have used that for over 30 years now and had the best success with that method. Seems like I've tried everything else I could think of and kept going back to that. Easy to monitor the dampness of the towels, and plenty of air exposure to the outside of the egg. The main thing is to be sure you have as much air exposure to the outside of the egg as possible. IN a natural nest, the cavity is dug, the eggs laid and then the nest chamber is capped by a wet plug by the mother. That leaves the chamber open inside and the eggs are exposed to air except for the small points of contact with the adjacent eggs. If there is not enough exposure on the outside surface of the egg, it will suffocate and die. So - don't use a heavy, soil or clay type substance, and don't ever pour water directly on the eggs.

Tim Donahue

5 Year Member
It seems most successful breeders use vermiculite. I personally have used several layers of moist paper towels, with a small depression poked in with my finger to hold the egg. I have used that for over 30 years now and had the best success with that method. Seems like I've tried everything else I could think of and kept going back to that. Easy to monitor the dampness of the towels, and plenty of air exposure to the outside of the egg. The main thing is to be sure you have as much air exposure to the outside of the egg as possible. IN a natural nest, the cavity is dug, the eggs laid and then the nest chamber is capped by a wet plug by the mother. That leaves the chamber open inside and the eggs are exposed to air except for the small points of contact with the adjacent eggs. If there is not enough exposure on the outside surface of the egg, it will suffocate and die. So - don't use a heavy, soil or clay type substance, and don't ever pour water directly on the eggs.

Tim Donahue

5 Year Member
Thank you. I was wondering whether the egg shell needed substantial amounts of air on its' surface to survive. I will substitute some airy moss in place of the potting soil.
The eggs age well formed, & probably deposited on the ground in my yard last night. If they are fertile, I am hoping to give them the best conditions for development.
Much appreciated.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you. I was wondering whether the egg shell needed substantial amounts of air on its' surface to survive. I will substitute some airy moss in place of the potting soil.
The eggs age well formed, & probably deposited on the ground in my yard last night. If they are fertile, I am hoping to give them the best conditions for development.
Much appreciated.
Be sure you have them in a container that keeps the humidity up. I keep the incubator at 75-80% and have the eggs in a Tupperware-type container with some holes in the top of the sides. I keep the top on the container to keep moisture up. Here's a picture where you can see the paper towels, and the holes in the top sides.

Good luck with your eggs.

IMG_1203.JPG

Tim Donahue

5 Year Member
Much appreciated.

Tim Donahue

5 Year Member
day 2
I put the eggs into an incubator at 84 degrees & 90%+ humidity
one of eggs had developed a small dent, but by this morning it has straigtened itself out
they look healthy and it's encouraging that the high humidity seems to have saved the dented one
time will tell
very good information on this forum
thanks to the contibutors for their insight and sharing of their experience and knowledge

Attachments

• incubator.JPG
    incubator.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11