Incubation chamber, eggs etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmajh

5 Year Member
Hi all, Im new owner to two hermanns, one female and one male age around 8 years. The female has laid eggs for her previous owner although none hatched. I would like to be perpared for if she lays anymore and would like some advice on how to go about setting up an incubation chamber for the eggs if she lays again please or is it better to buy one?

Also if she does lay again and has babies we would probably most likely sell the babies on (due to space in our home/garden etc), what are the legalities of this with regards to CITES etc.?? our tortoises came with certificates so what would we need to do if we sold babies on?

Any advice appreciated

thank you

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
The first time around it's always best to buy an incubator. Hovabators are very good reasonably priced incubators. Make sure you get one that doesn't turn the eggs and doesn't have a fan (usually the least expensive model).
You need to have the A10 certificates in your name. You can get in touch with DEFRA to get this done. Once you got hatchlings you would apply for certificates for them.

Danny

emmajh

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
The first time around it's always best to buy an incubator. Hovabators are very good reasonably priced incubators. Make sure you get one that doesn't turn the eggs and doesn't have a fan (usually the least expensive model).
You need to have the A10 certificates in your name. You can get in touch with DEFRA to get this done. Once you got hatchlings you would apply for certificates for them.

Danny

Brill thanks for that. Although I got two torts the owners gave us 4 certificates that are in german with the photos attached does that sound right? That's what the reptile shop supplied them with. I'll drop defra an email tomorrow

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Not sure about getting 4 certificates. Have they been microchipped?

Danny

emmajh

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Not sure about getting 4 certificates. Have they been microchipped?

Danny

I've had a good look at the certificates they are all identical except for the special number in top right corner - there are diffeent numbers on all certificates. also photos on certificates of the tortoises have numbers painted on their shells and these numbers are also different on the four photos. I think the owners before us were supplied with extra certificates by mistake and now i dont know which ones our ours and which ones arent! Owners before us bought them from a reptile shop but i gather from the certificates that they were bought from a german breeder as name on certs is a german one and cert is in german

Status
Not open for further replies.