First days care for soon-to-hatch Hermanns

Dave CH

Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Morning everyone,
Our 90-year-old female laid again this summer, out in the open garden where she spends her summers.
We're protected the eggs from predators, and now lag them overnight as it's getting chilly.
We're now at laying +90 days.

In case the eggs do actually hatch, I'd appreciate some advice on first days care.
I'll be away for several days during the hatching window, but have someone looking after our place, so I can leave instructions.
I have a spare, vented, glass terrarium (having, for our two 7 year olds, built two of the excellent expanded PVC tanks (see https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/) for which Sterant posted a design).
I have UVB and basking lamps. Timers, but no controller (so, no sensor-driven settings).
Unfortunately I've no spare ceramic heating elements and no humidifier (I'll have to humidify the glass tank by hand, twice daily).
The spare UVB I have gives off heat, so would be a heat source when on.

Any advice on how to set this environment up, and on how to handle newborns, would be greatly appreciated.

From 840 meters above sea level in the Swiss hills (Europe), best regards -
Dave

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Newly hatched tortoises need specific care. Warmth and humidity are key. I will call a few experts for you. @Tom @Yvonne G @wellington
Thanks Tammy, but no expert here with me, specially when it comes to newly hatched. I only hatched a small few and had to look up what to do every time and because I don't do that any more, all info went out of my brain. Lol
But @Tom or @Yvonne G should be able to guide the OP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Morning everyone,
Our 90-year-old female laid again this summer, out in the open garden where she spends her summers.
We're protected the eggs from predators, and now lag them overnight as it's getting chilly.
We're now at laying +90 days.

In case the eggs do actually hatch, I'd appreciate some advice on first days care.
I'll be away for several days during the hatching window, but have someone looking after our place, so I can leave instructions.
I have a spare, vented, glass terrarium (having, for our two 7 year olds, built two of the excellent expanded PVC tanks (see https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/) for which Sterant posted a design).
I have UVB and basking lamps. Timers, but no controller (so, no sensor-driven settings).
Unfortunately I've no spare ceramic heating elements and no humidifier (I'll have to humidify the glass tank by hand, twice daily).
The spare UVB I have gives off heat, so would be a heat source when on.

Any advice on how to set this environment up, and on how to handle newborns, would be greatly appreciated.

From 840 meters above sea level in the Swiss hills (Europe), best regards -
Dave

Dave CH

Switzerland
Big thanks, Tom.
Will work on this.
Dave

Dave CH

Switzerland
Big thanks, Tom.
Will work on this.
Dave
@Tom, I've no incubator, and if these eggs hatch it will be outside.
If I follow the instructions at your link, can I keep their box in one of the tanks already running for the 7 year olds?
They're at 75% humidity, and around 25 Celsius (night-time 18 Celsius).
The bigger of the two tanks is 2 square meters, so I won't be stealing too much of the space if I've a shoe box in there...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, I've no incubator, and if these eggs hatch it will be outside.
If I follow the instructions at your link, can I keep their box in one of the tanks already running for the 7 year olds?
They're at 75% humidity, and around 25 Celsius (night-time 18 Celsius).
The bigger of the two tanks is 2 square meters, so I won't be stealing too much of the space if I've a shoe box in there...
That should work. Keep babies on the warmer side, but not too hot. They are usually ready to go into their first enclosure with substrate at around 10 days old. It may take longer with your cooler night temps. I've never tried it that way during the brooder box stage.

Dave CH

Switzerland
That should work. Keep babies on the warmer side, but not too hot. They are usually ready to go into their first enclosure with substrate at around 10 days old. It may take longer with your cooler night temps. I've never tried it that way during the brooder box stage.
Thanks again @Tom ; I'll try it (assuming they hatch) and let you know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom: We're currently at 119 days since laying (we have a precise laying date).
Do you know the maximum hatching period for Hermann's/Greeks by any chance?
Best regards -
Dave
There is no maximum. With temperate species there is sometimes a delay in development for some reason. I've heard of chersina eggs going 270 days. SA leopard eggs left in the ground will sometimes hatch after 18 months.

The general rule with eggs is: Don't throw them out until they pop open or rot. Give them the "sniff" test.