incubation Aldabra eggs

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Germany
today finally we got the first eggs from our Group of Aldabras!

The mother is an 100 kg female 17 years old.

Eggs are about 90 g and have a quite thick Shell (one was broken) of over 1mm thick.

We breed the eggs in an incubator "Jäger" , 29 degrees Celsius, heat from above, nearly totally covered with vermiculite.
The dry Vermiculite we moisture with the same weight ammount of water, that means 100g dry vermiculit we mix with 100g water.
So we get a humidity of approx. 90 percent in the incubation place.

@ALDABRAMAN, maybe you have some advice für succesfull incubation of the eggs?
How many days do yours normally need?

Jemo

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Congratulations, Jemo. :)

What is the straight carapace length measurement of your female?

Bee62

Germany
today finally we got the first eggs from our Group of Aldabras!

The mother is an 100 kg female 17 years old.

Eggs are about 90 g and have a quite thick Shell (one was broken) of over 1mm thick.

We breed the eggs in an incubator "Jäger" , 29 degrees Celsius, heat from above, nearly totally covered with vermiculite.
The dry Vermiculite we moisture with the same weight ammount of water, that means 100g dry vermiculit we mix with 100g water.
So we get a humidity of approx. 90 percent in the incubation place.

@ALDABRAMAN, maybe you have some advice für succesfull incubation of the eggs?
How many days do yours normally need?

Jemo
@Jemo
Would you sell hatchlings when you have too many ? I am interested in one or two aldabra tortoise hatchlings.
I saw you live in Germany. I am too. Would you please pm me ?

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
one of the eggs was destroyed,
i am concerned abaut the thickness of the Shell, is that normal?

Sesel

Seychelles
May we know how it got damaged?

The shell looks not as smooth as we are use to seeing. Maybe somebody else will know the reason.

Below is an egg after hatchling has come out.

20171209_085312.jpg

20171209_085316.jpg

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jemo, the egg experienced an excessive deposition of calcium in the late-stage portion of the oviduct (sometimes this section is referred to as a shell gland or uterus, but terminology varies with the user/speaker). There is usually a number of possible reasons for this. One reason is that the function is new to the organ and it has not yet gained its balanced "rhythm" since it has never performed the process before. This normally (mostly) works itself out in subsequent reproductive events. First-time layers are notorious for this across a variety of species. Another factor is a lack of synchronization between the shell's development and the endocrine cascade that occurs in step with normal oviposition/nesting. In other words, the eggs may be on time, but the hormonal pulse/signal may be tardy. This is more common as well with newly reproductive females and likewise tends to work itself out in subsequent reproductive events. A third is environmental in terms of nesting site availability and selection. Availability is likely fine unless there are egregious enclosure deficits (which I believe is not a concern here). She likely held the clutch longer due to inexperience. As many as all of these factors may have acted in concert to produce the effect you see in your hand. The good news is that this will usually self-correct. Be mindful that there may be other eggs like it which may or may not have been passed, so keep a closer eye on her behavior until the next clutch is deposited.

What is the straight carapace length measurement of your female?

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
the straight carapax length is 81 cm

that is quite big for a female,
the male is only Little bigger with 91 cm.
He startet mating last year, still very unexperienced!

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
Update:
in total we got 7 eggs this Dezember from this female.

Unfortunately she did NOT lay the eggs normaly but every few days she drop one egg onto the floor or in the water and of course it is smathed shortly.

Aldabraei Dez17.JPG

Fortunately i could save 3 eggs now, Pictures of no 2 and 3 :

Aldabraei 25.12.17 (1).JPG

Aldabraei 25.12.17 (10).JPG

I was able to catch this egg in the Moment of coming out!
the next one I got today, it looks very strange and dark:
Aldabraei 26.12.17 (3).JPG

It feels hevy like a Stone, 88 grams, and feels hard like a Stone.
Never seen anything like this bevore!

I have the same oppinion like Baoh and think the eggs are quite old!

Anyhow i put them in the breeder.....

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
in total this female dumped 12 eggs. The last one Looks quite ok, White and not overcalcified.
Another female now shows signs of egg lying. She is very active at night, quite unusual, and start digging around.
For me it Looks like she want to lay eggs!

Sesel

Seychelles
Unfortunately she did NOT lay the eggs normaly but every few days she drop one egg onto the floor or in the water...

in total this female dumped 12 eggs.
Another female now shows signs of egg lying. She is very active at night, quite unusual, and start digging around.
For me it Looks like she want to lay eggs!

Do they have suitable places where they can dig a nest?
I've read that you have a large glasshouse. Can they go outside when they want?

Thanks for the updates :)

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
They live in the same place all year round, the well heated glass house and a big garden they are free to go out and feed when they want, but of course only in summertime. At night they always go back inside the house, also in summer.

Inhouse we have a sandy and extra heated place for egg.lying. Formerly we had hanging heat lamps there, and therefore all tortoises are sleeping and resting there, that means there were no space left for females digging egs.
Now we chanched all that, no more lamps on this part of the house. And not even one week later ANOTHER smaller female start to dig holes and behave aktive at night.

@Sessel, in April we will participate once more in an Expedition to Aldabra Atoll to study the big ones, maybe we can visit your place and get known persolally. Will send you a PM

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about Aldabra eggs, but is the nesting area deep enough? My leopards dig down at least 12 inches. I would imagine an Aldabra much deeper. Just tossing out thoughts.
Btw, I think it would great to meet up with another forum member on your vacation to the Atoll. I have really enjoyed meeting the few I have met in person and have hopes to meet more.
Also, don't forget to take a lot of pics to share with us.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
the deep of the soil is important of course.
But on the original stony Aldabra Atoll they really do not have many space and possibilities to dig holes.
On Aldabra itself we have observations of nests beeing 30-40 cm deep. The temperature measured inside the nest were between 30-31 degrees Celsius.
That is the same temperature that Aldabraman and also we use for breeding.

Anyhow we will improve our egg-lying place inside the glass house by making the sandy place deeper, that means technically we make it higher to get it more deep.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
I don't know about Aldabra eggs, but is the nesting area deep enough? My leopards dig down at least 12 inches. I would imagine an Aldabra much deeper. .

Today we did the modifications in the nesting area, we made it a bit higher/deeper
Additionally we rise the temperature of the underfloor heating to 32 degrees Celsius. That is really warm now!!

Hope they will admid the improved place !!