Incandescent Light Bulb Ban

tignish99

5 Year Member
I am curious, now that the incandescent light bulb ban has been put into effect in many areas, how does this affect reptile owners? I did buy up a whole bunch of incandescent bulbs for my critters while stores still stocked them (in our area they can finish selling their existing stock but not order more), but what happens once they are gone? Are there alternatives aside from ceramic heat emitters? Will the alternative cost a tail and a foot?

Thank you

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I was under the impression that this ban really only applies to common household rated bulbs...

tignish99

5 Year Member
bradtato said:
I was under the impression that this ban really only applies to common household rated bulbs...

I am not sure. I was not able to find any information on it.

bradtato said:

Called our local reptile store. You are right. The ones I bought were on sale so, I saved a whole bunch and they will be used anyways.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The other type of bulbs will still be sold, like spot lights, etc.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I think it only applies to the house hold type bulbs, which is what I use. Stores can still sell them but they are no longer being produced. It remains to be seen what effect this will have on pet supply bulbs, if any, but I am thinking it will not drive the price down. Wal-Mart has some good ones 60watt soft for $1.68 per package of four. I bouught about 10 packs already and plan to buy more this afternoon, lol. I need my Incandescents!

tignish99

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
I think it only applies to the house hold type bulbs, which is what I use. Stores can still sell them but they are no longer being produced. It remains to be seen what effect this will have on pet supply bulbs, if any, but I am thinking it will not drive the price down. Wal-Mart has some good ones 60watt soft for $1.68 per package of four. I bouught about 10 packs already and plan to buy more this afternoon, lol. I need my Incandescents!

I cleaned out the local Walmart of 40, 60, 100 Watt bulbs. Not as if they will go bad. I would rather pay 50 cents a piece versus $10 a piece with a reptile brand on the box, but that essentially does the same thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just bought a dozen bulbs from Walmart, and ordered 2 cases of black lights online. I used to use CHE at night time, and it was quite costly. I've been using black lights instead and have cut down on my winter electric bill a little bit. I use just about one bulb per habitat per winter - that's 11 habitats. I'm trying a 250watt red brooder bulb in the Aldabran shed this winter. I know that's quite expensive to run, but so far it seems to be keeping their shed toasty on our cold nights.

nevertooyoung

You can still buy ordinary bulbs but they're now termed as 'rough service' bulbs. Maplin sell them for instance.