In need of an overhaul

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've had Franklin, my Russian tortoise for about 2 years now, he's possibly around 7.
I did my research before getting him (well as "good" of research can be from places other than here...) Anyways I listened to a guy at our petco... mistake I know but I was swayed because he had a Russian of his own, a nice large 12 inch female, that he kept in a 20 gallon long tank... and because he had a tortoise he must have known what he was talking about and PERFECT it fit on the top shelf of my school desk, the only place i could keep him, a few weeks later I ended up getting a 20gal long tank, and then a few weeks after that I brought Franklin to our home. then about a month later I discovered this site... and realized i'd made a mistake... but he never seemed unhappy so I just assumed it was ok. But now I'm realizing while he may not seem unhappy in his tank he seems really happy outside (5'x5' old adapted sandbox)
So this tank has really been bugging me for quite some time now, because I know its not right. I want to get him a bigger hide, but cant since the tank wont allow it, want to give him more room to roam, but the tank wont allow that. I'm pretty unhappy with this tank and its NOT whats best for my little guy.
I'm now stuck in a situation where I already have my franklin, but don't have the adequate space for a good tortoise table, I literally had just the right amount of space for the tank (plus a few extra inches on the sides for tortoise care stud)
So I know I'm in a situation where nothing will be ideal for a while, so please don't beat me up more than i'm already beating myself up about this happening.
I am an engineer and artist though, I have the mind and skills needed to create something that will fit and work better. I have a few main ideas that I believe have potential to work and would like some imput.
First off, I have about the space of the 20 gal tank as my base, but if I build up I can get decently larger, still not to the recommended size but better than currently.
My ideas involve having 2 "floors" for him to roam between, with a ramp to go up/down (the ramp having a board against it so he doesn't decide to jump, and boarders around the extra corners to the top floor ramp opening so he doesn't fall down the hole). Has anyone ever done a 2 story type thing? if I attempted this the top floor would be larger and I think I'd treat the bottom floor as his "cool half" and not heat that one.
My second option is to build it 1 floor and kind of have it in an L off the side of my desk to the wall about 2 feet away from my desk then come out a little like a shelf.
These descriptions probably don't help, I'll work a little on drawing up models to help with that.
Just want to know if anyone has ideas for us, because i'm getting sick of knowing I can provide better care!

M

Maggie Cummings

Second stories are good...lots of keepers use them. Put him outside as much as you can and maybe make some kind of a run that goes under your bed and out again...

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Heres a bit of a scribble of what the top of my desk looks like, the part with the bottom is the part where his tank currently sits, the columns going up are like edges to hold up books I origionally kept up there, while they can be cut off i'd prefer not to do that, and the back and side piece are where my walls are, the other side is a walking area so I can't build right.
If this gives anyone any ideas let me know, but i'm really just posting this here to have somewhere to work it out for myself.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 9