In moderation…?

Hannanz

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville Kentucky
My latest obsession that isn’t this forum (😅) is the tortoise table website. What a gem. I found that day lilies are edible in moderation so I had to try it and that’s a no go for Edisto. Maybe because the flower was bigger than her? Really though, for hatchlings should I skip anything that says in moderation or is moderation like a few cut pieces a few times a month? Sorry I don’t know much about this term “moderation” my first tortoise is a sulcata that I impulse purchased. 😂😂😂😂 (sorry that’s triggering for some, I do love her and I believe I can give her the best life possible, even if that means moving to a better climate in 5 years!)

Attachments

• 2A53ECC1-5460-4A67-8410-F1CA9C061641.jpeg
    2A53ECC1-5460-4A67-8410-F1CA9C061641.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My latest obsession that isn’t this forum (😅) is the tortoise table website. What a gem. I found that day lilies are edible in moderation so I had to try it and that’s a no go for Edisto. Maybe because the flower was bigger than her? Really though, for hatchlings should I skip anything that says in moderation or is moderation like a few cut pieces a few times a month? Sorry I don’t know much about this term “moderation” my first tortoise is a sulcata that I impulse purchased. 😂😂😂😂 (sorry that’s triggering for some, I do love her and I believe I can give her the best life possible, even if that means moving to a better climate in 5 years!)
"Moderation" can mean many things to many people. Here is my advice as it relates to feeding: Use lots of variety. To me, moderation means don't feed whole meals of the item every day. Instead, mix that item in with other good foods a couple of times per week when it is in season.

A large portion of the diet for sulcatas should be grass. Less so as babies, but more so as they begin reaching adulthood.

Also, no tortoise is going to walk up and just start eating unfamiliar foods. You have to take weeks or months to slowly, incrementally, introduce new foods. It takes time. Lots of time. Start by adding in tiny amounts of the new food item mixed in with old favorites. Over time, add more and more of the new stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"in moderation" for a little one the size of your baby would be one petal of that flower cut up and dribbled over his salad once a week.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's not straightforward, that's for sure.

Moderation simply means "not to extremes." It doesn't mean never and doesn't necessarily doesn't even mean in small portions--across one meal or over one day. Your baby could make a meal out of just that, two meals in the same day, even. But not as the only food for any length of time.

The Tortoise Table is interesting but the science in it can be iffy so I don't consider it as any kind of bible. Feed your little one as broad a variety of foods as you can manage, with a focus on introducing grass as mentioned above. Offering multiple foods means you can worry a little less about the exact "right" portion of any one of them.

Oh, and he may never like this plant, which means you won't have to worry about it at all. :)