Rose leaves in moderation?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Good morning all! My rose bushes have beautiful new young leaves that Skurt rather likes but like a lot of plants when I check tortoise table it’s a moderation plant. However, with this plant unlike most others they don’t specify why. So what’s the deal with rose leaves?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you click on the see more button? It says petals and leaves safe in moderation.

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes my question is why in moderation? Usually they explain the why on plants but don’t with roses.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Because flowers, all flowers, are high in sugar.

For leaves I looked at all the berries: raspberry, blackberry, bramble (which is wild). These are all close relatives to the rose. A couple of the entries say the leaves contain tannins, which seem to be generally regarded as “bad.” They likely also taste astringent (i.e. not palatable).

I’ll be interested to see if yours eats any; mine never has.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine will eat rose leaves and flowers, but it is not a favorite.

My main concern with roses is that almost all of them are contaminated with chemicals. When I asked the lady at the garden center if they had any without fungicides, pesticides and chemical fertilizers, she was incredulous and couldn't understand why. When I explained that is was for tortoise food, she seemed a little miffed, and she couldn't seem to comprehend the idea of growing roses without chemicals. I don't now what her problem was, but the moral of the story is: Be careful what rose bushes you feed your tortoise from.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh these are mine and not tended at all lol I’m not much of a gardener. He does eat the leaves and flowers from time to time but if tannins are bad I’ll nix them.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
They are fine in moderation; no need to nix them. There are plenty of folks who feed them and they are actually on most of our “safe to feed” lists. Sounds like he’s already moderating his own diet; I wouldn’t change it.