In defense of new guys & gals and a request...

jwr0201

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
Bet this tile gets a lotta looks!
So, in the short time I've been a member, I've read an intro thread that really went way sideways and was appropriately locked. I've also read a comment from an experienced member stating that often new members only want to buy cheap torts to resell and make $$$.
I'd like to appeal to the experienced members here to ignore the 'new breed' who offend and to keep the faith & please keep offering your invaluable advice, suggestions, opinions and experience to newcomers. I hope most newcomers are here to learn and share and not just to score a free tort or two. Believe me, we who are new or returning to keeping these amazing animals, certainly appreciate the pearls of wisdom you pass along so freely, having been there and learned the hard way. You sage old (or young) experienced keepers of the shell - we salute you!
:tort::tort::tort::cool:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So, in the short time I've been a member, I've read an intro thread that really went way sideways and was appropriately locked. I've also read a comment from an experienced member stating that often new members only want to buy cheap torts to resell and make $$$.
I'd like to appeal to the experienced members here to ignore the 'new breed' who offend and to keep the faith & please keep offering your invaluable advice, suggestions, opinions and experience to newcomers. I hope most newcomers are here to learn and share and not just to score a free tort or two. Believe me, we who are new or returning to keeping these amazing animals, certainly appreciate the pearls of wisdom you pass along so freely, having been there and learned the hard way. You sage old (or young) experienced keepers of the shell - we salute you!
I also thank all the owners who spend so much of their free time responding to questions, care giving advice, construction work, engineering, gardening, etc.

When you see a cautionary note about adoptions/selling to new members, it's because most of the members have seen mistreatment of a tort over & over again. Scammers & trolls are everywhere, even here.

The main focus here is about the future care of the tort, not people who think it's ok to make a quick buck on torts they know nothing about & selling them to someone who likewise doesn't know about tort care.

This site encourages debate, opinion sharing, knowledge & always better care & food for torts & turtles, not trading personal insults.

When you want the latter, go to Facebook.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I post the part about new comers who join just to get a free tort and sell them because it's true. It's not meant to be to new members who come to learn and share. Its members who only join for the reason of getting a free tort and if you search them you would see that's all they do is post of free tort threads.
If you are here long enough like a bunch of us, you will see why I post that.
As for new members, I'd like to request they come here with open minds, willing to learn the proper way. Lots of older members have been there and done that so the experience is already here. If you want to pretend your an expert from the get go, then share your experience and again be open minded.
We answer the same questions year after year after year and so on. Even though most answers are already answered if a search is done, we still take the time to answer them all. Some of us, get to the point, some like to be more kissy about it. Either way, stop and think about the many times the same thing was answered and don't get snippy right off the bat.
Also remember, we don't have a clue about you. We safely can assume most have gotten the wrong info. We care about your tort and want the best care given and that's what this forum is for, correct info.

jwr0201

Sarasota, FL
I post the part about new comers who join just to get a free tort and sell them because it's true. It's not meant to be to new members who come to learn and share. Its members who only join for the reason of getting a free tort and if you search them you would see that's all they do is post of free tort threads.
If you are here long enough like a bunch of us, you will see why I post that.
As for new members, I'd like to request they come here with open minds, willing to learn the proper way. Lots of older members have been there and done that so the experience is already here. If you want to pretend your an expert from the get go, then share your experience and again be open minded.
We answer the same questions year after year after year and so on. Even though most answers are already answered if a search is done, we still take the time to answer them all. Some of us, get to the point, some like to be more kissy about it. Either way, stop and think about the many times the same thing was answered and don't get snippy right off the bat.
Also remember, we don't have a clue about you. We safely can assume most have gotten the wrong info. We care about your tort and want the best care given and that's what this forum is for, correct info.
Excellent points! I'm willing to bet that you do see the same questions come up often. Thanks for the patience and advice. Without recommendations & advice from those with more experience, many a tortoise would likely not be kept in proper conditions. I'm gonna try to be sneaky and phrase my questions...differently so at least they look like new ones! I like the straightforward way answers are given here - no sugar-coating, just good info!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Excellent points! I'm willing to bet that you do see the same questions come up often. Thanks for the patience and advice. Without recommendations & advice from those with more experience, many a tortoise would likely not be kept in proper conditions. I'm gonna try to be sneaky and phrase my questions...differently so at least they look like new ones! I like the straightforward way answers are given here - no sugar-coating, just good info!
Lol it's okay that the same questions are asked. I remember my newbie days. It's easier to just ask then too search and as a newbie, everything seems urgent.
But I'd love to see your creative way to bring the old new again lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what sideways thread you are referring to, but YOUR post here is well written and makes your point eloquently. I think I qualify as one of the old keepers you spoke of, so I will thank you for your salute and carry on with the straightforward advice.

Your style of writing, and your tactful, skilled wordmanship is welcome and refreshing. That fact that you use punctuation, and use it correctly, right along side correctly spelled words with appropriate capitalization brings a smile to my tired face. I hope you stick around and improve the quality of this forum with each of your well-worded posts. :)