Hi guys new owner, is my tortoise showing signs of pyramiding?

Jaker86

Location (City and/or State)
Salford
Hey guys, hope you're all good I'm a new tortoise owner we got our marginated tort pebbles from a breeder last week. She has one small bump on the front of her shell, I'm a little worried as I wouldn't want it to be the start of pyramiding, we'd be gutted she's been ace and seems really happy eating, going toilet etc. Any experienced opinions would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_153153.jpg
    IMG_20200516_153153.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200516_153112.jpg
    IMG_20200516_153112.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200516_153025.jpg
    IMG_20200516_153025.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 40

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is starting to pyramid, but that has nothing to do with the bump. The bump part is normal. The pyramiding can be seen between the scutes where the new growth is happening.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Most indoor enclosures are far too dry. You need damp substrate, a humid hide box, daily soaks and shell spraying, and then you need to make sure you are not drying out the newly forming keratin on the carapace with the wrong heating and lighting. You can stop it now if you act quickly.

Most of the typical advice given for tortoise care is wrong. Pet shops usually sell people all the wrong stuff. Show us your enclosure and heating/lighting stuff, and we can make recommendations.

Jaker86

Salford
She is starting to pyramid, but that has nothing to do with the bump. The bump part is normal. The pyramiding can be seen between the scutes where the new growth is happening.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Most indoor enclosures are far too dry. You need damp substrate, a humid hide box, daily soaks and shell spraying, and then you need to make sure you are not drying out the newly forming keratin on the carapace with the wrong heating and lighting. You can stop it now if you act quickly.

Most of the typical advice given for tortoise care is wrong. Pet shops usually sell people all the wrong stuff. Show us your enclosure and heating/lighting stuff, and we can make recommendations.

Brilliant thanks for the info, I'm gutted, let's get this stopped. We followed a care sheet we were given after buying a package, I've just looked now at the care sheet and it doesn't even mention damping the substrate, I trusted the the guy and I thought he was a reputable breeder. We started dampening it after watched a YouTube video a few days back. I don't believe the substrate we have is that good, it seems to dry out very quick and I'm looking to change to another. We believed she would get enough heat during the day is this the case or do we need Heat pads at night to create the humidity? Thankyou for your help, we're very new to this but she already means a lot to us.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_160649.jpg
    IMG_20200516_160649.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200516_160701.jpg
    IMG_20200516_160701.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200516_160715.jpg
    IMG_20200516_160715.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brilliant thanks for the info, I'm gutted, let's get this stopped. We followed a care sheet we were given after buying a package, I've just looked now at the care sheet and it doesn't even mention damping the substrate, I trusted the the guy and I thought he was a reputable breeder. We started dampening it after watched a YouTube video a few days back. I don't believe the substrate we have is that good, it seems to dry out very quick and I'm looking to change to another. We believed she would get enough heat during the day is this the case or do we need Heat pads at night to create the humidity? Thankyou for your help, we're very new to this but she already means a lot to us.
Most care info for tortoises is plain wrong. So much misinformation, especially about babies. Care for hermanni is the same as for Russians, so give this a look:

Jaker86

Salford
Most care info for tortoises is plain wrong. So much misinformation, especially about babies. Care for hermanni is the same as for Russians, so give this a look:

This is awesome Tom, thanks for the guidance it's much appreciated.

Emilyl94

Swansea

Hi Tom, thanks for the info you gave us both. Just wondering if you'd be able to look at updated photos and let us know if the changes we have made are making a positive difference for her or if her shell has improved? :) thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_094924.jpg
    IMG_20200603_094924.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200603_095016.jpg
    IMG_20200603_095016.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200603_095020.jpg
    IMG_20200603_095020.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, thanks for the info you gave us both. Just wondering if you'd be able to look at updated photos and let us know if the changes we have made are making a positive difference for her or if her shell has improved? :) thanks again
It takes months to see improvement in the growth after changes are made.