*impatiently taps foot*... day 63 of RT egg incubation

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
UPDATE:
Lady's first egg finally hatched! She is a healthy and perfect little Russian tortoise hatchling, and weighs 16g.

This wee baby had NO hurry to get out of her egg. She didn't pip until day 68, and then she sat in there, looking out of the little hole she had made, for 3 days! When we came home from church today, she was finally out of her egg.

She was rolled diagonally inside the egg, so she is still quite lopsided, but that will even out as her shell hardens, and she'll be a normal little oval baby. Look at her little nuchal scute (it's the one right above her head) - it's split in half, making it look like a perfect little heart!

She is dark, and very domed. Her Mom and Dad are both sunflower yellow with black markings, and very domed, so she's going to be a beauty!

Ps: @Tyanna is going to have some exciting news..... ;)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
What is the "normal" number of days it takes for a RT egg to hatch? I can't imagine how excited you must be, I would be checking on it every two minutes or more :)

Depending on the incubation temperature and other factors such as the size of the egg and the genetic parentage, a 'normal' RT incubation can take anywhere from 50 days to 100 days. Most hatch around 60-75 days, from what I've heard, and from what I've seen in my own small sample.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
YAY!!! Does dark color run through the parents too? I love seeing variations, and it's sooo pretty!
Both parents are bright sunflower yellow with dark black markings in the middle of each scute. So I expect the babies to start out really dark, and to then get strikingly contrasting markings. :)

I just saw this! This little cute baby is going to be mine & I CANNOT wait. My husband and I are thinking of the name "Nova"!
I love the name!