I'm worried about my boy

Kaitltnboyce78

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Yes, almost. You need to provide UVB and heat/visible light over the same area. That's more natural and tortoises understand it better. So just rotate the UVB strip 90 degrees (so it will be along the short wall) and move closer to the basking lamp as far as mesh allows.
Right okay, like this?

Attachments

• IMG20240413164338.jpg
    IMG20240413164338.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Right okay, like this?
Yes!

Substrate looks dry on this photo. So you may try what's been adviced earlier - pour some water and hand pack. You may also just mix lower and top layers and hand pack if it's already damp below. When hand-packing it should get 1.5-2 times less in volume (e.g. from 6 inches pack to 3-4).

Kaitltnboyce78

Scotland
Yes!

Substrate looks dry on this photo. So you may try what's been adviced earlier - pour some water and hand pack. You may also just mix lower and top layers and hand pack if it's already damp below. When hand-packing it should get 1.5-2 times less in volume (e.g. from 6 inches pack to 3-4).
Yes I try to do that everyday, this is a few hours after I last done it. I'm going to get him new substrate soon tho

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I get cocoir, i've tried others like topsoil I know it's recommended alot but it always has rocks and sticks and pieces of plastic in it no matter where I get it from so cocoir works the best for me.
Coco coir is a good choice. But you use it right now, no? Usually, there is no need to replace substrate more often than in 6-12 months.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
No harm, except some stress for the tortoise (they don't like changes of any kind). But no benefits, I believe. It's not the same as a cat litter.
You can keep substrate you already have (or add more so it will be 4-6 inches after "packing"). Also, you may put a shower curtain or other liner to protect wooden parts (walls and bottom) from rot.

Rarely, substrate molds and that's definitely a reason to change it.

Kaitltnboyce78

Scotland
No harm, except some stress for the tortoise (they don't like changes of any kind). But no benefits, I believe. It's not the same as a cat litter.
You can keep substrate you already have (or add more so it will be 4-6 inches after "packing"). Also, you may put a shower curtain or other liner to protect wooden parts (walls and bottom) from rot.

Rarely, substrate molds and that's definitely a reason to change it.
Okay thank you I have a question, my other tortoise poppy she has a wooden enclosure and a the bottom the wood is started to come away and there's a hole (it's not all the way through so she can't fall through it) is there anything I can do to fill the hole and stop it from wearing away? I have pictures of you need them

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Okay thank you I have a question, my other tortoise poppy she has a wooden enclosure and a the bottom the wood is started to come away and there's a hole (it's not all the way through so she can't fall through it) is there anything I can do to fill the hole and stop it from wearing away? I have pictures of you need them
Yes, pictures would be helpful.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That's fixable :)) As the enclosure is empty and dried you can put a piece of plywood, wood plank or acryl over the hole. Ideally, over the whole bottom. Then lay a thick plastic film - quality shower curtain, mulching film, heavy duty garbage bag or something like that and staple or duct tape it to the walls all around (probably at 5-6 inches high). This should prevent rot on the bottom and walls.

Kaitltnboyce78

Scotland
That's fixable :)) As the enclosure is empty and dried you can put a piece of plywood, wood plank or acryl over the hole. Ideally, over the whole bottom. Then lay a thick plastic film - quality shower curtain, mulching film, heavy duty garbage bag or something like that and staple or duct tape it to the walls all around (probably at 5-6 inches high). This should prevent rot on the bottom and walls.
Okay thank you so much! I'll try that