I'm new here - hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry1976

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
West Central Illinois, USA
I am new to these forums and love that this site has so much information.

I owned a couple of box turtles in the past. I loved their personalities and all the quirks that turtles have. Of course, I am learning here all of the stuff I should have done with them!

Anyway, I am considering getting my first tortoise and I want to make sure I am armed with all the information I can find before I bring my new friend home. I have already seen some really good ideas and information here and can't wait to dig deeper so that I am as ready as I can be before I make the leap to having a happy and healthy tortoise. :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! :D Any certain ones catching your heart and mind yet?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D if you are considering a leopard or sulcata, check out the threads below in this post. They are all good for those two species. The Beginner thread is very good for any tort species. Good luck and don't forget pics when you get your new family member.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kerry1976:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Kerry?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kerry1976 said:
Yes, I am Kerry and I am from West Central Illinois.

Right now I am thinking maybe a Russian, but am open to suggestions.

While Russians are not one of my personal favorite tortoises, they are great animals, especially for a first time caretaker. What is it about the Russian that is placing it on top of the list?

Kerry1976

10 Year Member!
Jacqui, that is a very good question. I like that they remain fairly small in size and are supposedly somewhat hardy and they seem to be fairly available at reasonable prices. However, I can't really say beyond that! Are there other breeds that I should consider? I am open to anything because I am a newbie and I haven't yet done anything. That is why I came here, to hear from experts.

Given I live in IL, the winters for my future tortoise would be inside. I would like to create a basic outdoor space as well so he/she can play in the summer. I would like to have a species that is somewhat small. I am beginning to plan my wedding, so I have to admit I don't want to spend a ton on a tortoise, but I am not at a specific price point, per se.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How do you feel about hibernation? Would you care if you had a tortoise who would have in the wild naturally hibernated? Would you even think you might want to hibernate one (and no they do not have to hibernate).

While so far it sounds like a Russian would fit your requirements the best, you may also want to look into Hermanns and Greeks, too.

Kerry1976

10 Year Member!
Hmm, I am not opposed to having one that hibernates, but it would be great to have one that doesn't. I don't know much of anything about hibernation, but I may want to hibernate one someday. I have also looked at Hermanns and Greeks and they both are interesting to me, too.

Kerry1976

10 Year Member!
My new buddy Ivan arrived today. Within minutes of getting inside his new home, he attacked the cut aloe and live plants.

While he was working on the aloe we snapped a little video.

(Since I am new to this forum, I have never attached photos or videos, so I humbly apologized in advance if I have not read my directions carefully enough.)

My fiance's 9 & 1/2 year son finds him to be fascinating. I am getting constant updates on Ivan's activities, from exploring his cage to munching on more aloe. Tonight's lesson is to let the tortoise explore his cage comfortably and that he is not to touch Ivan without permission and to wash his hands immediately after doing so.

Tomorrow night, weather permitting, we will take him for an outdoor adventure for grass, water and foraging in the yard.

Attachments

• 2012-07-02_17-15-07_972.jpg
    2012-07-02_17-15-07_972.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012-07-02_17-10-01_202.jpg
    2012-07-02_17-10-01_202.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.