I'm a tortoise mom at long last!

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Today at approximately 10:15 am, a rattling FedEx truck pulled into my driveway. I bolted outside, shoeless and looking rather foolish, to intercept the undoubtably startled delivery man. In his hands he cradled a darling little box, and, at long last, all of my months of research, pre-planning, and waiting that had lead up to this moment seemed worth it.

In short, my tortoise is here! Finally! And the day could not be any more perfect. It seems as if all of the world's goodness has coalesced into this moment. And what a little treasure he is! I ordered my wonderful little T. h. boettgeri from GBtortoises. He's about 9 months old and 3 inches SCL. And now, since I am finally a tortoise mommy, I thought there was no better time to introduce myself formally (Also, I'm trying to keep myself from hovering over my poor juvenile tortoise every other second. I think my gusto is spooking the little guy.)

My name is Julie and I am just about two weeks away from graduating highschool with highest honors. I live in Michigan and am an absolute animal fanatic. I plan to go to college to study veterinary biology. I'm a vegetarian, animal advocate, avid horseback rider and nature lover. Caring for animals is a great passion of mine, and I love learning new things about everything to do with them. I can't wait to discuss my new addition with everyone here and maybe begin starting to know all of the TF members a little better. Thanks for reading :D

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you both so much :) I'll be sure to make him a little thread and start posting some pictures soon, though I'm so nervous about stressing him out I've been forcing myself to give him some space. Traveling across several states in a little box must have been terribly frightening for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) What part of Michigan are you from? First thing you should do for your little one is give him a nice 20-30 minute warm water soak. Don't want him dehydrated from his trip. Then, place him back in his enclosure with some food and let him explore and get accustomed to his/her new home. You can watch, just try to stay out of his/her sight for a while. Then tomorrow, I would soak every day and let him/her get to know you.
Btw, Congrats on your tort and your Honors and good luck with furthering your education. Going to Michigan State?

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Actually, Greg (GBtortoises) had given me some care instructions before my tortoises' arrival. When he arrived I gave him a nice long soak as you've instructed and he's had free reign since then (which was by about 11 this morning). Thank you very much for your advice, though.
It already appears as though he's at least walked through his water dish and sampled some of his food, judging by the dirt trail, which are good signs.

We're located in central Michigan. After I get my undergraduate, I'm considering going to MSU for their veterinary program :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Julie:

I know you've been a member for a while and have written many posts, however, I don't think we've ever welcomed you...so, Welcome to the Forum! GBTortoises is a nice person (a member here too), and really knows his stuff when it comes to tortoises. I only wish he posted here more often.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Julie welcome to the TFO from AZ . My son lives in Saginaw , Mi . Is that close ? When do we get to see your tort in its enclosure ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Congrats!!! When my Fed Ex guy pulled up and held the box in a tilt, I almost tackled him! Lol, don't tilt my babies!

Oh dear! I suppose I'm lucky that my Fed Ex delivery man was a very nice individual. He came out of the truck holding my package very gingerly and even inquired as to what kind of reptile I had ordered. Surpisingly, he mentioned that several tortoises had come through his facility lately. Must be because the weather is finally warming up over here.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hi Julie:

I know you've been a member for a while and have written many posts, however, I don't think we've ever welcomed you...so, Welcome to the Forum! GBTortoises is a nice person (a member here too), and really knows his stuff when it comes to tortoises. I only wish he posted here more often.

Yes, GBtortoises is a very nice and well-informed tortoise breeder. I would reccomend him in a heartbeat. Thanks for your official welcome :)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hello Julie welcome to the TFO from AZ . My son lives in Saginaw , Mi . Is that close ? When do we get to see your tort in its enclosure ?

Saginaw isn't very close to us. We're located in the heart of Michigan, pretty land-bound. Looks like your son isn't too far from the lakefront, which makes me a bit jealous, haha.

Here's a link to a thread I made about my enclosure. It has some pictures on it. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-enclosure-is-finally-complete.90426/ When I soak the little guy tomorrow I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you guys. I just don't want to pick him up any more today because he seems a little stressed about that still. I'm sure it will take a bit of time before he's comfortable being handled by me personally.

Great news though! After I stumbled in to my room for about the hundredth time today, I actually caught him in the act of eating! I was so ecstatic. Funny how little things can make you so excited. Not to mention the little BM he had this afternoon. :p

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If stressed means the torts hiding a lot that's a left over from when they were wild cause in the wild if they move they get eaten ! But after he finds out your the food god he will come to you more often

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Julie and Welcome.

I love the last paragraph of your post. Best wishes to you and your little shelled guy in health, in growth, in career, in family.

Good to have you here.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Congrats!!! When my Fed Ex guy pulled up and held the box in a tilt, I almost tackled him! Lol, don't tilt my babies!
I shouted "there's a baby tortoise in there, be careful!!" on his way up to the door. Lol. Like that 5 feet mattered from the rest of the 1000 or whatever mile trip. Lol.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I shouted "there's a baby tortoise in there, be careful!!" on his way up to the door. Lol. Like that 5 feet mattered from the rest of the 1000 or whatever mile trip. Lol.

So funny! Lol. Yeah I'm like the nicest person on the planet, I'm a Preschool Teacher. But when I saw that guy tilting my tort box that clearly said "caution, LIVE animal, handle with CARE.", I was going to pummel him like a Detroit Red Wing Hockey player. Lol