If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on TFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We recently made some pretty rude comments on a new member's thread about his pyramided tortoise. We really hurt his feelings.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, and we encourage you all to express your opinions, however, there is a right way and a wrong way.

This tortoise was well past the age of being able to do anything about the pyramiding anymore. So we didn't have to tell him OMG...that poor tortoise! What you did! Shame, shame. Would you say that to his face?

All I'm saying is can we all please be a bit more diplomatic in our criticism of folks who have pyramided tortoises? PLEASE?

Unless we're talking MBD, pyramiding is just cosmetic. Its not harmful to the tortoise. He's not going to get sick from it. It isn't uncomfortable for him and he's not in pain. So he's not perfect. Neither am I. And probably, neither are you.

So quit throwing stones at our new members. I'm glad they have enough sense to come here and learn the proper care for their tortoise. Let's don't make them feel bad for what happened way back when the tortoise was a baby.

(I deleted the worst comments)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Well said! We need to remember we are here to help each other. If we are rude to someone and scare them off, how did we benefit the tortoises? We are here to gently educate and make life better for as many tortoises as possible. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree. I feel most of the bad pyramiding is from when no one or most didn't know how to prevent it to begin with. Heck, mine isn't that old, less then two years and I had gotten bad advice, until I found this forum and the NICE help I had gotten to better things. They can't get the forums help if they leave too soon.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
C'mon Yvonne, you must have noticed that there is a growing trend here for just that. There are threads here everyday villifying the owners of tortoises sold on craigslist. Several members email them(I'm sure affiliating themselves with this forum). They're quite popular. Do you think a member would get by unnoticed? I figure it's only a matter of time before I see PETA ads here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its ok to vilify those weird craigslist sellers, because they don't read it as a personal affront here on the forum. I have a feeling that because we all jump on the craigs list band wagon when we read those re-posted ads, that that's why we are getting to be so loose with our criticism of new members with pyramided tortoises.

And about the emails, we have no control over that, and I'm hopeful that the emails are sent with good intentions and polite expressions, and not accusatory. Yeah, right.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
Unless we're talking MBD, pyramiding is just cosmetic. Its not harmful to the tortoise. He's not going to get sick from it. It isn't uncomfortable for him and he's not in pain. So he's not perfect. Neither am I. And probably, neither are you.

Not to mention, pyramiding does occur in several species in the wild.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yagyujubei said:
C'mon Yvonne, you must have noticed that there is a growing trend here for just that. There are threads here everyday villifying the owners of tortoises sold on craigslist. Several members email them(I'm sure affiliating themselves with this forum). They're quite popular. Do you think a member would get by unnoticed? I figure it's only a matter of time before I see PETA ads here.

I am one if those members that will email CL ads. However, I do not bash them for the condition of their torts, and have said it several times. I try to give them helpful advice and try to steer them or the new torts owner to TFO and do not blame them on the way they cared for their tortoise. Like I already said, most info people with older torts have gotten is what was available back then. Heck a lot of the more experienced members on this forum have pyramided older torts. I do it in a nice way and have had many email me back
thanking me for the helpful advice. You will get through to more people being nice then not. Just want to make it clear, I wasn't one of those

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
wellington said:
yagyujubei said:

I am one if those members that will email CL ads. However, I do not bash them for the condition of their torts, and have said it several times. I try to give them helpful advice and try to steer them or the new torts owner to TFO and do not blame them on the way they cared for their tortoise. Like I already said, most info people with older torts have gotten is what was available back then. Heck a lot of the more experienced members on this forum have pyramided older torts. I do it in a nice way and have had many email me back
thanking me for the helpful advice. You will get through to more people being nice then not. Just want to make it clear, I wasn't one of those

I do the same thing! :) I just want to help the tortoises.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on T

I have bought 2 redfoots (my little ones) from petsmart 3 and 2 years ago that were already pyramiding. Me and my wife saw it as a rescue and that's why we bought them. 3 years later, the pyramiding still exists, but we were able to stop it from going any further. I know I haven't criticized anyone on here for their pyramid torts.

dds7155

5 Year Member
emysemy , I like the way you think, and voice it , have you ever thought about running for office,,,

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I hope the new member comes back. I didn't see the post you're referring to, but I'm sure that no one meant to be insulting. I'm constantly surprised by how welcoming and kind folks are on this forum. This thread is a good reminder to pause and think before posting the first thought that pops in our heads. Before posting any comment, lets ask ourselves: Will this comment help the tortoise and Will this comment support the owner?

In a perfect world, this would be a judge-free site where we exchange ideas freely, create awareness of tortoise needs, and provide good information to those who want it.

Thank you Yvonne for bringing this up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope I wasn't one of the guilty ones. I usually try to be tactful about such things, especially since not a single one of my adults is even remotely smooth, even the ones I raised myself from back in the nineties.

This pyramiding thing has been going on for decades, and outside of this forum it is sadly still the norm. MOST of the captive tortoises out in the world ARE pyramided. Well at least most of the sulcatas and leopards. I agree that we should be glad for every new member that comes here to learn and improve things for their tortoises. I have learned a TON of stuff from the fantastic members here.

I hereby apologize for my part in this snobbishness, and hope the new member being discussed here sticks around. Whoever you are, you are NOT the only one who has caused tortoises to pyramid. You stand shoulder to shoulder with all the rest of us imperfect tortoise keepers here.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In a perfect world, this would be a judge-free site where we exchange ideas freely, create awareness of tortoise needs, and provide good information to those who want it.

I love your post Shelly. This is so right!!

Kerry1976

10 Year Member!
West Central Illinois, USA
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on T

As a newbie, I want to thank all of you for your great advice. I didn't see the post being referenced here, but hopefully that person will come back to the forum.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Neal said:
emysemys said:

Not to mention, pyramiding does occur in several species in the wild.

Thank you Neal! ~C

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
I am a newbie.I have had some great advice on here..Dont know what I would of done if this forum was not around.One of my 21/2 year russian torts look like they have a pyramid, I am not sure really if it is but I have only owned them for a few weeks.I imagine the breeder had them all that time apart from nearly 2 months prior me getting them.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
kimber_lee_314 said:
Well said! We need to remember we are here to help each other. If we are rude to someone and scare them off, how did we benefit the tortoises? We are here to gently educate and make life better for as many tortoises as possible. :)

Absolutely!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Forgive me for sounding cheesy, but I find one of the best part of forums, asides from the knowledge sharing and such, is finding people you have something in common with, and making friends. Just being nice, and social.

Think about it. This is a forum, with tons of people on every day. All of us have, at least one thing in common that we talk about daily!

Besides, why be mean and negative? If I'm wrong about something, I'd much prefer someone nicely explain to me some constructive criticism instead of bash me. I'm much more likely to listen to the nice voice of reason.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
We just recently has a lady get bold comments on her Russian escaping multiple time and
she felt so bad she was almost going to get rid of them.
We all need to be able to help someone when they have issues,
questions and problems.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I didn't see the thread, I assume it is no more, but just thinking about it makes me sick. People come here for HELP and even if they've been doing something wrong, even if it's something REALLY bad, they obviously care about their tortoise and want what's best for it. That much is obvious just by the fact that they joined the forum. Honestly, I can imagine being a "new person" on the forum and then completely run out by people telling me I'm terrible, etc.

Geez, I'm sick to my stomach now... Glad I didn't see the actual post, I may have exploded on a few people. I like that even when we get into arguments here on the forum, at the end of the day, nobody hates each other, nobody is really all that bitter, it was just a fun argument. New members don't realize that, they don't know anyone here, so if they get bombarded by rude comments they are going to feel so terrible. Who was the member, if you don't mind me asking? I want to PM them my apologies :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.