If the snow takes out the electric what about the baby???

milkandsam

5 Year Member
I would definitely put a towel or something in between because they can get pretty toasty if you have raw skin up against them.. good luck!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I'd still shoot for the radiant heat off a heated brick or rocks from your oven. Natural gas lines rarely become disrupted do to storms, unless those storms are like hurricane Sandy or some equally destructive storm.

Also, it's not a chemical active heat. Just place something between the torts and the heat source.

As far as chemical heat goes…I have no direct experience with hand warmers or my suggestion. I say you try before it's needed. Put one of those hand warmer deals, activated, in a closed box. Then after say 20 minutes or so, open the box with your face right there and take a deep breath. This is, I'm sure, not what the manufacturer would suggest, but basically none of this use for the product is what the manufacture would recommend. Certainly, plan ahead for what you can do, and test the results before needed.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Everyone suggesting these hand warmers really should take a step back and actually think about the advice you are giving. These hand warmers hit between 144-160 degrees or higher in less than an hour. This will kill the animals quicker than the cold will.

Do not confuse these handwarmers with a 40 hour heat pack, as a 40 hour heat pack will heat up gradually to around 120 degrees and produce even, distributed heat for 40+ hours.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Boy, I'm glad you think that everyone is dumb as a rock. I think it's time to take break from this forum. Those that want to reach me, can P.M. me.

Paris I love U

If it happens again I would use a hot water bottle that is not too hot and place it underneath the flooring e.g. Wood Chipping's and then observe the tortoise constantly as long as it is not too hot it will act as a heat mat . Hope this helped anyone withte same problem x

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
One year, up in Toronto, we lost power for 3 days...carried my adult Hermann's inside my sweater, by my belly and my GF carried our two pythons in her sweater. No losses.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Terry Allan Hall said:
One year, up in Toronto, we lost power for 3 days...carried my adult Hermann's inside my sweater, by my belly and my GF carried our two pythons in her sweater. No losses.

Good that your g-friend had the pythons. The jokes I could have with it if you had. “Is that a python in your…" I'll stop now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Cowboy_Ken said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Good that your g-friend had the pythons. The jokes I could have with it if you had. “Is that a python in your…" I'll stop now.

Beat ya to it... :p