if one tort has a overload of parasites, do you test the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So for my underweight Russian I am getting her fecal test done.

what are your thoughts on my other 4 Russians?

test them to?

Whats it like medicating a tort for parasites?

Can i do it myself if I get the medicine from the vet? or is it a vet thing?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Whenever I have a tort with confirmed parasites - I de-worm everyone in the same enclosure.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
ok, so what does deworming involve?

I have dewormed a cat before but thats it

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I use panacur - but you should check with you vet. Did your vet confirm parasites?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Oh i am going to get the fecal tested...Not a vet visit.

Then if it comes back positive i will get the medicine.

I will avoid paying 85 dollars for the vet visit...when i got so many experts so close to me...or tort owners that have experience....I just always ask you guys first, then i follow up with them. if there is a contradiction I research it myself and decide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would just test the one. If that one is positive, I'd worm all the ones from that enclosure or exposed to that one or its enclosure.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
thx Tom and Kimber

i feel better about it now...tomorrow will be a big day for me, hunting for a check fecal tester..haha

stay at home mom can call every vet and get the best price!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I agree... If the fecal is positive, then deworm everyone. I put it on their favorite food and they usually eat it with no problem.

My vet has me give a dose once a week for 4 weeks then retest. If it is really bad, then we do three days in a row, then once a weekl

The test is graded on a scale of 0 - 4, with 0 being no parasites & 3 or 4 being bad enough to deworm. Either way, I would get a can of 100% pumpkin and give each one a teaspoon full 2 or 3 days in a row. I do the pumpkin about every 6 weeks. They lick it off a spoon.

good luck
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pumpkin is not a dewormer in itself, although a healthy treat. Some believe the seeds to be a dewormer (you would grind them up). I however have not seen any evidence of this, just anecdotal, so prefer to get fecal samples tested and treat under the advice of a vet any specific parasites if they are in too high of numbers. I don't agree with treating something unless you know it is there, as the meds can be very tough on their tummies. It is also dangerous to buy meds online and rely on secondhand dose advice, as you need to be very careful of the strength of the med as dewormers for example come in many different strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.