Testing for Parasites

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Lately I have been thinking about testing for parasites in my Sulcata just for preventative measures. I have never done so before. I texted my sister because she is a vet tech near me and I asked her how much it would cost for me to bring in a fecal sample and have it tested. She said that she wasn't sure and she'd have to ask because the only reptile she's seen there is a bearded dragon (she's hasn't been working there long at all). She also asked me to find out what kind of parasites I am looking for. Can you guys help give me some information? I know some vets may have me bring him in, and that's fine I'd just rather not stress him out if I can. But what type of test do you get and what type of parasites specifically should I get him tested for?
If it tells you anything, he's only about 2.5 pounds right now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
General: There are over 500 identified reptile nematodes. Most occur in the intestine and stomach though some larva can migrate into the lungs and throat. Those most commonly found are 'roundworms' which have an indirect life cycle. These can rob the tortoise of up to 40% of available nutrients in food ingested.

Hookworms have a direct life cycle and huge loads can build up in the system in a very short time. Pinworms also have a direct life cycle and commonly cause an obstruction in the intestinal canal. Strongyloides have a direct life cycle, and these can cause severe diarrhoea, mucous in droppings, and sometimes respiratory distress owing to larva invading the lungs.

A bit of info from the Tortoise Trust site.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Thanks!
So definitely roundworms, hookworms, pinworms, stongyloids.

Anything else that I should make SURE the vet tests for? I just want to know which ones I need to get tested for for sure before I start calling vets.
My sulcata usually only poops in his soak, if I get his fecal sample from his soak do you think that could effect the test or wash away some proof of parasites?

katrvt

5 Year Member
Make sure to warn them that a certain amount of protozoa are normal Flora for torts. Most of the small animal exclusive people, even at the clinic I work for the exotics section in, panic when I show them healthy tort stool under the microscope.

HJ1983

New York City
I just did a fecal test in my Killer. The sample has to be fresh and moist. I'd say get one the day before or the morning of. And if he poos on the way to the vet place that in a Baggie and hand it over. When I soaked my guy the day before the vet he went in the water. These things are all over the feces so the water does nothing to them. So when you soak your tortoise watch for his poo and as soon as he's done scoop it up and put into a small air tight container and place it in the fridge. And you're done. The fresher the sample the better so a day before is and ok sample. The day of is the best sample.

I'd do a search on here for medications and how they're administered. Every vet does it differently but I've read a few posts where some veteran tortoise owners were appalled at how they were being treated. My guy was given Panacur and it was administered by a tube to his gut at the vet office. Then it's repeated in 2 weeks. So if you know what to expect you'll be better prepared.

Good luck.

jennanne

If you ask they give you a handy dandy container with a scooper in it too [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

erdavis

5 Year Member
So here's the plan so far.

It's only going to be $15 to bring in some stool. Since the vet knows that he probably doesn't know as much about torts as some people on here do, he's going to let me come in to look at it myself under the microscope. However I don't know ANYTHING about it so I was thinking I could take pictures of the slides and post it on here and maybe someone on here can tell me how its looking. So the vet won't be diagnosing anything at all while I'm there, but I'll call him after and talk to him about it. (He also is excited because it would be a learning experience for him too) Does this sound reasonable? If I posted a picture is there anyone on here that will be able to tell me if he has an abnormal amount of parasites, as i know some parasites is normal?

I'm just concerned about parasites because I've never tested him in the almost 2.5 years i've had him. And I've had a dog who has had parasites without me knowing until I brought him in for his 6 month fecal. I felt terrible because I had no idea how long he'd had it. And then of course I worry that turbo could've gotten it from him. Even though turbo has a sectioned off part of the yard and I tried to pick up my dogs poo after i knew he was infested, but I dont know how long he might've had it before I knew. And Turbo is a slow grower and I worry it could be caused by parasites. Anyways, it'd just give me peace of mind.

Also my sister was concerned about the fact that turbo only poos in the bath and is worried that the water even for a few seconds might wash out some eggs, which she says is what they look for. Anyone else concerned about this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always try to remember to mention this when parasites are spoken of:

NEVER, EVER, ADMINISTER IVERMECTIN TO TORTOISES. IT KILLS THEM

erdavis

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I always try to remember to mention this when parasites are spoken of:

NEVER, EVER, ADMINISTER IVERMECTIN TO TORTOISES. IT KILLS THEM

Yes I did some research as to how to treat and I have written down never Batryl or Ivermectin. And that Panacur and Flagyl may work.

HJ1983

New York City
$15 for a fecal! Oh man, New York City really sucks sometimes. Here it's $60 for the fecal exam and $30 for the initial dose and $10 for any additional doses of Panacur. So add that to the $115 they ask for just to walk into the vets and bam! Empty wallet.

I would just do a google search for pinworm Ova and hookworm. I saw his under the microscope and it's pretty impressive looking considering they're no good for the tort. And from someone who is currently taking Biology I will say that it's not easy getting a clear picture of the slide. Especially if they're moving. I'll see if I can find a pic on google of what I saw and post it here for you.

http://www.ivanalfonso.com/2011/06/nematode-parasites-part-2/

I just found this. Pretty good pics of these worms in other reptiles.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395702312.873230.jpg

This is the pic of the pinworm eggs from that site. This is what I saw but on his slide and on all the other slides the doctor made there were so many. Good luck with the treatment. Let me know what happens. I am curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

RGB

5 Year Member
I believe, after testing/monitoring stool on my 20 tortoises (Hermanns, Greeks, and a leopard), that a low volume of pinworms and Protozoa is normal. It takes a very trained eye to pick up definite pathogens such as heximita. The "load" of Protozoa appears to be important as well, although I have some torts that the first feces passed is almost Protozoa free, and when they soak and really empty, the last stool passed has plenty of Protozoa (the two torts I'm referring to have doubled in size over the past 2 yrs and both just began laying eggs-so they seem extremely healthy!). In the absense of clinical symptoms, I would be slow to treat.
This seems to match what I have read about the subject regarding tortoises as well as uromastyx. I am by no means a vet, but I am skilled at using a microscope and understanding medical literature. So I thought I'd share my experience/opinion!