If a tort misses hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman

5 Year Member
what happens?

When i got my hermmi tort i had no info about her,since then iv red alot about torts and hibernation,what to do and what not to do.The putting in the fridge thing seems brutal to me.

Any way i found out that my tort never weant to hibernation,so my question is what can happen?Searched the net couldnt find any info.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hibernation isn't mandatory and many keepers never hibernate their tortoises. There is no ill effect as long as correct lighting, heat and feeding are maintained.

Arguably hibernation is the riskier course.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing can really happen, it is a biological means to survive cold weather. Some people say that missing hibernation lowers sperm count in males, but it is anecdotal evidence the only study I am aware of done on this was done on california desert tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
To support brumation in a tortoise species that has evolved to include this activity as part of their natural life cycle is entirely in your hands.

If you research both pro and cons and come to the decision to support brumation then that is totally as great a choice as some find in not supporting this natural evolutionary part of a life cycle some tortoise species are designed to do.

There are risks in every thing we are involved in. I would not brumate a tortoise (a species that is designed to brumate) for a complete years cycle of seasons, you need to make sure that the tort is healthy, active, well hydrated and has been assured proper feeding to get a healthy weight....and it will take at least this much time for you to get to know your tort so that you have a "normal" make up so you can spot any changes in your tort...

I do not use a fridge, so I can not offer any direct advise in that method....I have supported brumation in CDTs outdoors as well now as indoors...

I do not support brumation to encourage breeding, nor encourage life span ....I support brumation because it is part of the natural life cycle of the species of tortoise I host.

I have had to keep one of the CDTs up through winter due to health issues (sand impaction while with prior host) and he did just fine this last brumation....he fell right back in with what he does....

So, my advice would be to research research research....then make a decision based on you, your tort and if you are comfortable with what you find...then make your own decision from there... :D:p

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

Just a reference :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My box turtles hibernated every year outdoors with no problems ever. When it warmed up they woke up when it cooled down they went back down. Never a problem

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Spoonman said:
what happens?

When i got my hermmi tort i had no info about her,since then iv red alot about torts and hibernation,what to do and what not to do.The putting in the fridge thing seems brutal to me.

Any way i found out that my tort never weant to hibernation,so my question is what can happen?Searched the net couldnt find any info.

Not go into hibernation, as in "continue to be kept warm and fed"?

A tortoise is in danger of living to be very old! :D

Seriously, hibernation is optional, and there's no reason to worry about it. :cool:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have read that temperate tortoises that do not regularly brumate are at greater risk of liver problems in the long run. However, I don't know how conclusive that is. Also, some claim that tortoises that don't brumate are less likely to breed. I have found that to be the case with box turtles, but I don't know to what extent that applies to tortoises. Brumation appears to be a resting period that northern turtles have evolved, and might not only be an adaptation to surviving the cold, but might also be beneficial for them. Turtles that have brumated appear to have elevated hormone levels in the spring, leading to more courtship behavior, and perhaps a greater likelihood of conception.

Then again, if a tortoise or box turtle is in poor condition, it should not be brumated. Brumation is a risky undertaking, not only in captivity, but in nature as well. Every year, many wild turtles die in the winter time, perhaps because they had some underlying health issue, or because they failed to find a good hibernaculum that would insulate them against freezing temperatures.

We do not have a backyard, so this past winter we brumated our RT pair in a mini-fridge. This spring, our female RT came out of brumation healthy, but our male came out with some health problems, maybe because he had not quite accumulated enough fat reserves over the growing season. He's fine now, but next year, I will not let either of them brumate unless I am sure that they are well-nourished and rather plump (200% of DMW).

If your tortoise is unhealthy, or if you are unsure of his condition, it is a good idea to overwinter him with elevated light levels, and summery temperature and humidity levels to "trick" him into feeling like he should stay awake. He might get a bit sluggish, but as long as he feeds and eliminates regularly, he should be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andrej:

You said that you learned your tortoise never went into hibernation. We need to know more. Does this mean that you boxed him up and placed him into the hibernatorium, but he never went to sleep? Does this mean that you kept him awake all winter with lights, warmth and food?

If you put him into the hibernatorium and he didn't go to sleep, and he's still alive, then chances are pretty good that he's VERY underweight. He will need immediate attention to help keep him from starvation.

If you kept him awake and he has eaten all winter, then nothing will happen. The only thing it does is sort of mess up his internal breeding clock. They usually come out of hibernation with a very strong breeding instinct, but when not hibernated, the instinct is still there, just not spring-time strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.