Identifying My Tortoise

Hope Cox

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Virginia
Just wondering if anyone can help identify this hatchling?

Attachments

• 2018-01-10_17.34.45.jpg
    2018-01-10_17.34.45.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 20171227_121935.jpg
    20171227_121935.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20180113_175522_001.jpg
    20180113_175522_001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hi Hope. I got your message. Yes, you were sent a marginated tortoise, no question about it and also, whoever the seller who sold you a “black Greek” in the first place is, really should do some research as there is no such thing. Yes, there are forms of Greeks that can be all black but absolutely none of them are validly named “black Greek”. This is important because care for Greek tortoise types can vary greatly and by selling an animal under a made up name only causes issues for the animal and keeper.

Hope Cox

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Virginia
Hi Hope. I got your message. Yes, you were sent a marginated tortoise, no question about it and also, whoever the seller who sold you a “black Greek” in the first place is, really should do some research as there is no such thing. Yes, there are forms of Greeks that can be all black but absolutely none of them are validly named “black Greek”. This is important because care for Greek tortoise types can vary greatly and by selling an animal under a made up name only causes issues for the animal and keeper.

Thank you so much for your reply. What type would you suggest that is easy to care for and is small in adult age like the Greeks? Also, where or who would you suggest I buy from? I am located in Bristol VA.

The story behind the Marginated is that he actually passed away yesterday. I was searching the site of the place I bought him from and realized that he was not what they told me I was recieving (a black greek). I am by no means an expert, this was my first baby tortoise and I didn't know the difference until today when researching as to what might have happened or what I did wrong with him.

Thank you again for your response.