Identify my tortoise species

David Downes

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom, Birmingham
Hi to all,
I'm not sure if I'm posting this message in the correct place or not so correct me if I'm wrong.
Sammy my tortoise has been in our family for around 50 years but his original owner cannot care for him any longer so I've offered to take care of him but it has never been known as to which species of tortoise he is.
Help with this would be appreciated as I can then give him the correct care that he needs.

1438507140791.jpg 1438507179393.jpg 1438507210323.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
It's a subspecies of testudo gracea. Maybe it is gracea Ibera or gracea anamurensis.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, it is a Greek tortoise, or Testudo graeca, like Jules has told you. We have a very good Greek care sheet pinned at the top of our Greek section here on the Forum! How lucky for this tortoise to have been in the same family for that many years. Nice looking tortoise.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif

David Downes

United kingdom, Birmingham
Hi all, thanks for the fast response, yes we feel lucky to have him, he's got such a great character. What a fantastic website this is by the way, I'm looking forward to read through the posts and hopefully help with any questions too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Testudo have larger than life personalities which is one reason they are so popular