Hey new member

*_*

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi all my name is Nathalie and I'm from Utah I have a sulcata tortoise.
his name is Frank and I think he is 10 years old I got him from craigslist so I'm not sure if the previous owner took good care of him and i also don't know for sure if the age is correct.
I got him for 20 bucks and the previous owner told me some care information but after I read a little bit on here I'm not sure what to do there is so much different information...
He told me I can let him live outside as long as the temperature doesn't drop below the 60s is this correct?
Suggested food: iceberg lettuce, water melons, carrots and kale
He mentioned that water is not needed since he's from the desert and all the water he needs comes from the food I feed him is this correct?
I personally think that even desert creatures wont drop dead if I have water available...
Frank lived with his previous owner in this setup...
Does he look ok?
20190215_131045.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hey Nathalie!! Welcome to you and Frank. Frank looks well but all the info you were given sounds a bit outdated.
He can live outside but he needs a heated box that he can go in. None of the foods that you listed are ideal, But if you look in the Sulcata section, you will find a huge list of varied foods that are great for your tortoise. Water should be available at all times and he would also benefit from a few warm soaks. All of these conditions that he has survived in probably contribute to his small size for his age. You have a wonderful chance to really improve his quality of life and the experienced members here can help and guide you in the right direction! Congrats and good luck.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, You might think you bought Frank because you wanted a tortoise. You have also rescued Frank.( thank you). The previous owner ( I would like to use a different word) did not care for Frank properly. A pic on Frank's enclosure would be great. We can guide you to the proper equipment to use to give Frank a great home. He deserves it.
Thanks for giving Frank a better life.
Ask all the questions you want.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum Nathalie. We will help you get him set up right. If you go to the species spacific are, you will find an area on Sulcata tortoises. Please read the care sheets pined at the top of the pages. The person you got the tortoise from has no idea of how to raise the. For beginners, this is not a desert tortoise. They life on the edges, they need water, grasses for food ect. Temps never under 80f unless you have a heated enclosure for him. From the picture you have, that enclosure is way to small. Give those care sheets a read and come back with pictures of your enclosure. We will help you get set right.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome to TFO
[emoji851][emoji217]IMG_1784.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nathalie, and welcome!

The tortoise doesn't look bad at all for having lived with the kind of care/diet you've explained. Once the weather warms up and you have keep Frank outside, you can be working on an outdoor, heated, insulated shed for him. That way he won't have to come in at all. But, being in Utah, where the winters are pretty darned cold, you may have to dedicate a room to him, or set him up in the basement or garage for the winter. Here's what a full grown sulcata can do to an indoor set up:

sulcata destruction 1-18.jpg

Chasen

Galveston
He's gonna think he died and went to heaven! :D It's a testament to his resiliency that he survived at all with his previous owner. He's a lucky tort that he found you and you found this forum. Congrats on your new buddy