Identification, please help

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Hi Guys,
This is my first post but I guess I will be a very active member :).
I live in Malta and bought those 4 cute babies form a local breeder. They are 4 months old now. He has owned their parents for 15 years now and can not tell me what exactly supspecies they are. For geographically proximity to Tunisia I suspect they might be Furculachelys Nabeulensis, but the best would be to consult it with a wider group of ppl who are familiar with this subject.
Pics below.

IMG_20150122_114040.jpg IMG_20150126_144649.jpg IMG_20150126_144838.jpg IMG_20150126_144850.jpg IMG_20150126_144905.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species. The best I can come up with is "Testudo" LOL! But we'll tag @HermanniChris He's wonderful at knowing these species.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's very tough with babies but based on what you've already stated, they could very be nabeulebsis. A photo of the parents will tell me for sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I looked that up online, and my supposed to be humorous comment about "testudo" totally missed the mark. Seems like Furculachelys Nabeulensis is a new designation, and not a testudo.

Your babies are very pretty. I hope you stay here and continue posting pictures of them. I'd love to watch them grow.

Pawciorc

Malta
They are gorgeous, aren't they? :) All of them very vital and with good apetite. I hope they will grow healthy. My only concern is about hibernation because in Malta even during winter average temperature is above 15c.

Pawciorc

Malta
So after some research I figured out they must be Ibera. I found pictures of Ibera hatchlings looking exactly like mine :)

Pawciorc

Malta
I wanted to avoid posting one after another, but I can't find an edit option.
Anyway, today is sunny and warm and I decided to introduce them to their outdoor, roof-located habitat. They seem veeeery happy there :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
You have a very nice outdoor enclosure. Of cause, your baby are very cute too!!

Pawciorc

Malta
Thanks. I tried my best to make it as similar to natural environment as possible. Seems like they appreciate my work ;)

ismail

5 Year Member
hi there,
i have raised some hatchlings. the secret to keep them alive in the first two years is to keep daily warm soaks, keep them eating everyday and keeping them inside with a uv lamp and ceramic heater during jan-june. its important to understand that hatchlings do not hibernate so you have to keep them awake and ensure to feed them everyday. keep a spot in the enclosure at 30degC, as regards the subspecies, in malta ive found nabuelensis and cyrenaica so the hathclings must be of oether subspecies. good luck mate

Pawciorc

Malta
Hi, thank you for your reply. If it is as you say regarding subspecies- Tunisian or Lybian then I suppose no hibernation is needed at all even when they ale older, right?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hibernation is not needed for nabeulensis (Tunisian) or cyrenaica (Libyan) and can actually kill them. They are definitely not baby ibera even though they appear to look like them to you. So, it's important to take that into consideration as you care for them.

Pawciorc

Malta
That is the main reason why i started this thread. I want to take care of them as good as I can so proper identification is cruicial. Anyway, soon I am going to have pics of the parents and post them here.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I can 100% tell you they are not ibera. They are certainly along the lines of nabeulensis but seeing the parents is really important for an absolutely sure identity. Ibera can certainly be ruled out though.

Pawciorc

Malta
Pictures of their mum, Who are they? :)

20150228_131xx238.jpg 20150228_131xx250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
How big is the mother? She looks to be T. graeca graeca