Eggs or no eggs?

Spurs2131

Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeenshire
I have two Greeks (6 yrs old) who do not share an enclosure. They have been separate for the past 4 years.

Although unlikely at their age, I am worried about the possibility of eggs needing to be laid before hibernation. They are going for routine worm check and health check next week ahead of winding down in November if all is well however do you think I should get them checked for eggs at this time too?

They are both supposed to be female but I suspect one is male. I've attached pics for opinions as getting one xray is cheaper than 2!

Any advice much appreciated.
Laura

Attachments

• 20230923_125531.jpg
    20230923_125531.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230923_125416.jpg
    20230923_125416.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not great on sexing Greeks, but both look female to me.
Have they laid eggs before?
Do you have a confirmed male they have been with?
Are they showing signs of needing to lay? Digging test holes? Not eating as much? More pacing then normal?

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
I'm not great on sexing Greeks, but both look female to me.
Have they laid eggs before?
Do you have a confirmed male they have been with?
Are they showing signs of needing to lay? Digging test holes? Not eating as much? More pacing then normal?
Thanks for your reply! Tort B has been pacing a lot and eating more than usual.

Tort A is not eating much and is quite slow now. More what I would expect for this time of year.
Neither have been in contact with another tortoise so definitely not been around a male.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have they ever laid before?
Did you get them as hatchlings?
What makes you think they might have eggs?
It's true that tortoises can lay eggs without ever being with a male. However, from what I have learned on this forum, that's very rare.

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
Have they ever laid before?
Did you get them as hatchlings?
What makes you think they might have eggs?
It's true that tortoises can lay eggs without ever being with a male. However, from what I have learned on this forum, that's very rare.
Oh! Wonderful! I was under the impression that laying without being with a male was common. I've had them since they were 1.5yrs. They have not laid before.
I have no reason for thinking they have eggs other than being told by a vet that when they get to around this age "they might".
Your reply is very reassuring. I will probably pass on the xray egg check! Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, if it were me, I would for sure pass on the X-ray.
Personally, I would not even do a yearly check up. My tortoises have never seen a vet. Most vets know very little to nothing about tortoises, like your vet who doesn't know it's not common with tortoises to lay eggs if not around a male. Lizards yes, tortoises no.
The one time I took a past tortoise to the vet, it was because I thought she was egg bound, I knew she had been bred with my male. Had I waited, she would have laid them all without vet assistance anyway.