Ideas for watering holes outdoor enclosure

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Great idea! It's slopy, they can walk in and out easily... but how do keep it clean? Change water?
I use a shop broom for my concrete pond, basically the same thing. Just sweep it out, rinse it and fill it back up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Theyre light enough so just Tip it up to dump then refill. Doing that every other day or so keeps it from sticking to the ground.
I see, so it must then be talking about those made out of resin type of material. I had in mind those concrete ones. Those "puppies" are heavy

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
At HomeDepot they have water heater leak savers. These go under a water heater incase your water heater should leak. They are different sizes with a pvc thread drain pipe on one side. These are about 2"-3" wall height and somewhat ridged. They work well for me and the bigger guys. To clean them I just tip them up and dump and refill.
Thank you Ken:)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I see, so it must then be talking about those made out of resin type of material. I had in mind those concrete ones. Those "puppies" are heavy
I was talking of the concrete ones. They aren't that heavy. You're not lifting it off the ground...Just lifting one side....

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I use metal pans,even for the adults in the winter, similar to Tom's idea. Tractor supply has quite a few deeper ones. If its too deep, just fill it with peagravel and take out what you don't need. It will look more natural too. You will need to rinse the gravel often so waste doesn't build up. If you are worried about rust, just paint it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi guys, I'm looking for some low tech ideas for wading pool for my RF babies in their outdoor enclosure. Can you share pics of what you have?
Pearly, Where is your thread on your outdoor enclosure please.

jrtort

Southwest Florida
I don't like plastic because it is too slick under their wet feet. You don't want a baby to get leery of its water dish. Feeling unstable or slippery footing is enough to make a tortoise avoid its water source. Talking about babies here. Older, bigger tortoises can work it out just fine. I posted these in another thread. They work great for larger tortoises. I wouldn't think a RF would ever need bigger than this: http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoor-living/grills--smokers/crawfish/crawfish-platters

I buy stacks of the blue ones. Its like they are designed for my tortoises. I sink them into the ground big digging a hole for them with a small hand shovel.
Hey Tom, thanks for the link...funny, my husband gets shirts from academy. how do you keep these clean?. I've got two 3 year old redfoots and they are constantly trashing their water. We currently use a large terra cotta tray and they are in a large baby pool on our porch, but we will be moving them to an outdoor enclosure and looking for ways to cut down on constantly changing their water.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey Tom, thanks for the link...funny, my husband gets shirts from academy. how do you keep these clean?. I've got two 3 year old redfoots and they are constantly trashing their water. We currently use a large terra cotta tray and they are in a large baby pool on our porch, but we will be moving them to an outdoor enclosure and looking for ways to cut down on constantly changing their water.
I'm in south east Florida and I use cement formed pools and sweep them clean with a broom and refill them at least 3 times a week

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dump rinse refill. Repeat daily. I hose out any dirt or debris. I don't mind algae since it doesn't hurt anything. I just don't want dirt or filth of any kind in the bowl. About once a week I scrub out the water bowls with a plastic bristle brush.